Thread: Jay Bates Miter Saw Cabinet question

Blog Entries

Jay Bates Miter Saw Cabinet question

So I am about to build this. Like Jay, I have an older Bosch SCMS that I have to accommodate for so my tops will be 30" deep, leaving approx 8" behind the base cabinets for dust collection piping. Obviously the cabinets cannot be attached to the wall. Should I just count on the weight of the cabinets holding them in place? And another question, I will be building and leveling my bases(toe kick area) and then installing the base cabinets. Jay's design has open bottoms as he is putting all drawers in as I plan to do also. By building the bases independently, I assume that I will need to put a substrate on them for the actual cabinetry to sit on, is that a correct assumption?

Total miter saw station will be about 15 ft
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

I bought Jay's plans and modified it to fit my shop needs and to convert the measurements to metric. I have a Dewalt DWS780 saw, so my workstation is a bit farther from the wall than required for the new Bosch saw.

The cabinet bases are away from the wall and screwed to each other through the interior sides. A 19mm sheet of plywood spans the top the cabinets on each side of the opening for the SCMS. The plywood top is flush with the front and exterior sides of the cabinets and goes to the wall where it attaches to a 50x50mm rail I attached to the wall with concrete anchors.

I didn't build bases for the lower cabinets. Each lower cabinet has leveling feet on each corner that are adjustable from inside the cabinet. All of the bottom cabinets were positioned, leveled, and then screwed together before measuring for the two plywood tops.

I also made the saw shelf adjustable by using angle iron bolted to the inner sides of the cabinets and 100mm M8 carriage bolts to attach the shelf to the angle iron. Today I have the Dewalt, but I don't know what I'll have later. I didn't want to attach the saw shelf permanently in one configuration.

I hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by Mike Kreinhop; 08-30-2020 at 6:41 PM. Reason: Typos

Screw the cabinets together and since you are making a separate base, just screw the bottom of the cabinet to the base and it will be solid.

Why not make a pull out tray for the saw? When using, pull it out,and lock in place. Fences could be drop ins with dowels locating them. Not using them, store in rear position, again with dowels holding them in place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Screw the cabinets together and since you are making a separate base, just screw the bottom of the cabinet to the base and it will be solid.
    That was my question, since I dont need a base since all will be drawers, I dont really need a solid base for the cabinets, just a frame. for the base.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas