Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustration: Cannot Find Bandsaw Blade I Seek

Frustration: Cannot Find Bandsaw Blade I Seek

Howdy, All. I recently acquired a Ryobi 9-inch bandsaw. I have a specific need for a specific blade for this machine that I'm having troubling locating, at least at a reasonable price.

I hate paying shipping, so I'd prefer Amazon, ebay, or anyone else who doesn't ding for freight. I just have a thing about it.

Here's what I need:

59-1/2" length
    1/2" width
    24 TPI

This would seem to be very easy to find, but I've been searching and searching. I really need the 1/2" width for the job I'm doing.

Thank You so much,

Scott

Unfortunately, if that's a non-standard item, it will likely need to be made up by a shop and custom welded. 24 TPI at .5" wide doesn't sound like something that's going to be very common, but I could be wrong about that. Past threads have provided vendors that make up bands to custom specification. Shipping is just part of the cost of acquiring things, unfortunately, unless you have a local shop that welds up bands and has stock like you need.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, yes, it appears that way. It looks if I just modify my spec slightly I can get into something reasonably priced that will probably be fine. So, for instance, if I go down from 1/2" wide to 3/8" there are a lot more choices; and if I go from 24 TPI down to 18 that too expands the playing field.

Thanks, Jim!

Scott

Well, you can get what you want from bandsawbladesdirect.com and pay shipping, or buy $100 worth of blades and get free shipping.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

A lot of local saw sharpening shops sell band saw blades and size them to order
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I buy from these people,if you spend little money shipping is free. Like other places they make them to length.
    https://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/...hoCHCYQAvD_BwE

I think you need to look at metal cutting blades for that TPI count. Not much room for gullets at that count. I think you will need an air blast, or rotary brush, below then table to get enough out of the gullets for it to work.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Well, you can get what you want from bandsawbladesdirect.com and pay shipping, or buy $100 worth of blades and get free shipping.
    Ditto. All the Lennox series there, made to order. I just ordered a few for my little 14", in the $16 range for 93.5" flex backs.

I think you are asking for more than that little saw can handle. I would be surprised if you would be able to properly tension a 1/2 inch blade

The old saying is still true: "There is no such thing as free lunch" -Howard

1/2" blade on that saw will never be tensioned correctly. 24 teeth? Are you cutting veneer? That's way too small of gullet to remove sawdust if cutting even 3/4" hardwood. The feed speed would have to be almost microscopic to let the gullets remove any sawdust at all. Maybe you are asking for a woodburning blade instead of a woodworking blade.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 08-30-2020 at 9:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Memmer View Post
    Howdy, All. I recently acquired a Ryobi 9-inch bandsaw. I have a specific need for a specific blade for this machine that I'm having troubling locating, at least at a reasonable price.
    I hate paying shipping, so I'd prefer Amazon, ebay, or anyone else who doesn't ding for freight. I just have a thing about it.
    I buy blades from a local shop who makes them to order, any size. No shipping cost, I just drive down and pick up blades. They carry a huge stock in bands but if it's a blade they don't carry I pay them for 100' coil and buy whatever they can make from that. (I can get 8 blades for my saw from one 100' reel.)

This shop uses Lennox stock. You can go to the Lennox web site and find local shops all over the country who make blades to order.

JKJ

IIRC, the OP has a "guitar pick" company he was posting about a couple weeks back. Maybe he uses it in that process? I'm guessing that if I was cutting a thin plastic, a lot of teeth might give a better result. I am surprised about the width on such a small saw. It would be interesting to know why he is using a such a wide blade.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

14. I am curious why 1/2" wide? I can't imagine wanting/needing that on the 9" Ryobi. I am guessing this must be some very special use case. Otherwise it just sounds like a bad idea.

BTW, it isn't too hard to braze or silver solder blades yourself if it comes to that. Not sure if the smaller diameter wheels would make the brazed/soldered joints a lot more likely to fail, but I'd expect they'd be fine.
    Last edited by Pete Staehling; 08-31-2020 at 7:06 AM.

I used to have a version of this bandsaw, and as I remember it, 3/8" was the widest blade it was specified for. It wasn't a great bandsaw for me though, even with the 3/8" blade, but good enough for me to get started and see what bandsaws were capable of.