Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cabinet bases

As Ted mentioned above, I built drawers into a beefed up ladder base in my kitchen. My wife wanted every inch of space she could get.

I ended up installing eight toe kick drawers, but simply made them slide into the framework of the ladder base...no guides. The oak baseboard is attached to the drawer front, and is cut at a 45 degree angle, and this automatically corrects the small amount of side to side when you push the drawer in. My kitchen floor was installed before I built the cabinets, so I simply made flat bottom drawers with felt cushions on the bottom, and they slide in and out just fine.

She has these drawers loaded with pizza stones, cookie sheets, folding wire racks, etc. With a minimalist dark handle on them, they are not even noticed.

She loves them.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 09-04-2020 at 2:52 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Dave, see my post #15. The leveler leg failed. Yes we set the countertop down hard, but impacts on cabinets can happen when the homeowner takes possession to. I don't want the liability if someone gets hurt because something happens in the future. It wouldn't matter what they were doing to cause the failure, the fact that it did would come back on my company. I have no qualms using them on base cabinets, just no islands for me.
    That's a good point about islands, where there's not wall to take the sheer load. Leveling legs are only good for compression.