Thread: Smitten Kitten - Lack of Backlash

Smitten Kitten - Lack of Backlash

I have a number of vintage planes that I've restored....some much better than others. (My type 19 Stanley 7c and type 19 Stanley 5 are my best users so far... go figure.)
    I finally decided I deserved a treat and sprung for a Lie Nielsen #3 bronze.
    Wow.
    The depth adjustment engagement is remarkable....so much so that initially I thought I was doing something wrong. I'm so used to multiple turns to engage the adjustment. This is night and day.

It did cut out of the box, but a quick hone and strop and this little beauty took the tearout out of my birdseye maple shelf that I'm making.

It's almost too pretty to use. And since those close to me can't appreciate this tool, I have to post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    I have a number of vintage planes that I've restored....some much better than others. (My type 19 Stanley 7c and type 19 Stanley 5 are my best users so far... go figure.)
    I finally decided I deserved a treat and sprung for a Lie Nielsen #3 bronze.
    Wow.
    The depth adjustment engagement is remarkable....so much so that initially I thought I was doing something wrong. I'm so used to multiple turns to engage the adjustment. This is night and day.

It did cut out of the box, but a quick hone and strop and this little beauty took the tearout out of my birdseye maple shelf that I'm making.

It's almost too pretty to use. And since those close to me can't appreciate this tool, I have to post here.
    Use it. It looks much better with a good patina on the bronze.

Blog Entries
    I'm so used to multiple turns to engage the adjustment. This is night and day.
    The lack of backlash was one of the hardest things for me to get used to on an LN bench plane.

It doesn't really bother me on a plane that was made in the last century or the century before. Some find it frustrating.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That's a nice tool. Use it and enjoy it. I hope you do many happy projects together!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

ALMOST too pretty to use, I said.
    She made shavings on Day 1.

There is real pleasure to be had from using precision made tools. As the man said, use it, Wear the finish off the tote and use up the iron - and then pass it on.

And not to mention just the usability of a #3 plane as a final smoother, regardless of backlash. I have always liked a #3 size plane for smoothing, but I was gifted a LN #4 and yes, it is manufactured to much tighter specs than my older Stanley's are. I have never used a LN #3 but can imagine that it would work well. Photo of it in action please.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Use it. It looks much better with a good patina on the bronze.
    I love the look of the LN bronze planes, but no one up here in Canada sells them, sadly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    I love the look of the LN bronze planes, but no one up here in Canada sells them, sadly.
    How about having them shipped across the boarder? Is there a heavy duty involved?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    How about having them shipped across the boarder? Is there a heavy duty involved?

jtk
    There wouldn't have been duty under NAFTA, because they're manufactured in the US, but I don't know about the new trade agreement. Mostly it's a matter of being high-risk and not wanting to run the risk of having coronaviruses show up in the mailbox.