Thread: Newby here. First shop

Newby here. First shop

First off. I would like to say Thank You to everyone for all the knowledge that is shared here. I ve been lurking for quite some time. I was forced into retirement a few months ago due to COVID so things have been a little accelerated. I ve dreamt of a workshop for a long time and last week it seemingly fell all together. A friends father was wanting to auction his shop off and I got a pre auction private shopping tour! I think it worked out great! Here is what I got to start my shop. Not bad for 1,800.00.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations on your retirement and your new shop! You have a nice stack of lumber to start putting the new tools to work.
    I’m pretty new here myself and share your opinion about the great knowledge bank that resides here. It’s helped my improve my skills a lot.
    Have fun!

Ditto on the retirement congrats! It looks like your shop is off to a good start.
    What will your first project be?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wow, that's for sure a nice shop start! Including some nice looking wood to do things with! Congrats!
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Congrats Gregg. Covid does come with some perks. Enjoy your new found time. Nice collection of tools there to fill some of it.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations.... Now get started on woodworking.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Congratulations on what looks like a fine machinery score to get your shop setup.

And also best wishes on the retirement...I'm at almost three years now and it's been great...outside of being, um, busier than ever. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welcome Gregg! Glad you've joined us!
    Congratulations on your tools and your retirement!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Congratulations on your retirement. Nice score to get the shop started.

First project...will be...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Ditto on the retirement congrats! It looks like your shop is off to a good start.
    What will your first project be?
    Kitchen cabinets! And will be going in the living quarters upstairs from the shop.
    I am sure this is probably a mistake and maybe I should start out with an ashtray
    or something but we need to get the Barn finished and some home made kitchen
    cabinets would look awesome with corrugated ceiling and a bunch of barnwood.
    Walnut is what I want to use but I saw some cabinet doors with chicken wire instead
    of a panel. Either that or I found a guy that has Spalted Sycamore I think that would
    look great but I am not sure about using sycamore. Planning on Cement counter tops.

After that I have built in dresser, built in coat rack/bench and a pantry to build!

Here is the barn. I haven't taken many pictures in a while so tomorrow I post an update.

Thank you everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Location and climate for sourcing and drying wood. If you are in North America that sears radial arm saw can be sold back to sears for $75 for a safety recall.
    Bill D

That is definitely a better assortment (and quality) of machinery than I started on my own with

Congrats on the retirement and the new shop.

My rule for quite a while was alternating shop furniture projects with home projects. Got the shop more in order, and I learned and made mistakes on the shop furniture / cabinets instead of ones in the house.

In retrospect, I still believe that learning on building shop furniture / fixtures / jigs made me a far better woodworker. And nobody notices your mistakes except you. (And don't point them out, which we all do.)

Nice starting machinery, and great barn. Good luck.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Congrats on the retirement and the new shop.

My rule for quite a while was alternating shop furniture projects with home projects. Got the shop more in order, and I learned and made mistakes on the shop furniture / cabinets instead of ones in the house.

In retrospect, I still believe that learning on building shop furniture / fixtures / jigs made me a far better woodworker. And nobody notices your mistakes except you. (And don't point them out, which we all do.)

Nice starting machinery, and great barn. Good luck.
    Yes actually I should said I plan on building several jigs for my tablesaw and maybe for the Radial Arm Saw that I guess is a safety hazard!