Thread: Pneumatic Pop Riveters?

Pneumatic Pop Riveters?

I am having difficulty using my hand operated pop riveter (getting old), and thinking of getting an air operated model. I am aware of the battery models, but they are a bit more expensive than I would like to spend, and the 12V Makita I would buy has poor reviews on quality of the jaws.

I have looked at the HF models, and the most expensive $140 model, by their CHIEF brand gets the best reviews.

I use one several times a year, and would like to keep to a budget. Anyone used one of these, and have comments on them? I see some models on Amazon going for $700, and wonder if the above model is worth having.

Thanks for looking.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I've had a couple of them (pneumatic pop riveters) and they beat the hand operated ones to heck. The one I use now is this one, which has been perfect. Prior to that I had this less expensive one which worked until it broke. Took it apart as far as I could and couldn't identify the problem, then needed to get on with the work so bought a new one. I needed one that would work with larger stainless steel rivets; both of these worked, the current one is much more substantial. If you're only using aluminum rivets then I imagine that almost any of them will work.

There are some good manual ones with a lot more leverage. There are a lot of stainless steel pop rivets used on sailboats, and those a Much harder to pull than regular rivets. Marson made some good ones. They have one called Big D, that will easily pop 1/4" stainless steel rivets. It has handles like a bolt cutter.

I've seen some on Amazon, that look pretty good. I've popped thousands of stainless rivets with the old Marson ones. I have a pneumatic one too, but if you find one with more leverage than the typical hardware store version, they're no harder to use than the pneumatic ones, and you don't have to drag out the hose.

Marson made one called the Big M, which has a long accordian mechanism that you can pop a big stainless rivet with one hand, but I think they took those off the market. I use that one for 3/16" stainless rivets.

https://www.amazon.com/Marson-39010-.../dp/B000HAWKTM
    Last edited by Tom M King; 08-30-2020 at 12:27 PM.

They also make hydraulic hand operated ones that use no air. I have never seen one but I assume multiple pumps to pull the rivet using less hand force. I know Huck makes one. I would check ebay for a used air riveter. I know there are tons of aircraft air drills and counterink cages there all the time.
    For that price I would consider a used professional model with spare parts available. I saw one one ebay this morning that looks like a coil nailer. IT has around magazine for the rivets. Of course you can not buy rivets in a coil anywhere I know of.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-30-2020 at 12:56 PM.

I have a US made heavy duty manual rivet gun used for auto glass. It's huge and very solid but it needs to be. I also have one of the cheap HF riveters. I think it's the 3/16" one but I paid less than $20 with a coupon years ago. It must be the Central Pneumatic brand. It's done everything I've thrown at it. I think unless you have a need a 1/4" rivet is most likely not something you'll ever use. Back when I was racing almost every racer had one of those cheap HF air rivet guns. I'm sure they only last for a limited amount of time but it's most likely water from the air line that will ruin them. I expected the the jaws that grip the rivet would wear out but so far mine look perfect. Mine is over 10 years old and it can sit for years and then get used for dozens of rivets multiple times a year. It's never failed me. If you are on a budget get the 3/16" one. With a coupon you should be able to get it for about $30.

I just bought the 'Chief' model at HF. I will report on it as soon as I get a chance to try it out.

Thanks again guys.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.