Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Woodpeckers honing system

Thx for the Shakespear Stephen!
    Just responding to posts, not initiating any protests.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    I am not big on promoting products.
    I know on this site, WP has some detractors, some fanboys, etc.
    I am happy with some of their products, others seemed half baked, others a bit high priced, etc. But for me, each product stands on its own merits and value.
    I have been though a LOT of honing guides and systems including power systems. I don't sharpen freehand.
    The WP honing system IMO, the best one ever made... very well designed, blades stay square, nice feature with adjustable wheels as seen in their video. Feels good in my hand, easy to square the blade in the angle fixture. However, the angle fixture has fixed settings as stated on their web site, with micro hone positions as well.

Since this ONE TIME TOOL is on its second run, and time is running out to order, have a look if you are considering a new honing system. I have ordered WP products before, when not happy, they have always stood behind their 30 day Money Back guarantee.
    I just ordered a second honing guide without the angle fixture as only one of those is required. I ordered the original kit on the first run. I consider this product fairly priced considering the quality and design.
    Thanks for posting this review. I probably wont buy this product, because I have the Mk-II and all its accessories. But I wasn't aware of the WP until you reviewed it and I was glad to learn about it.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Will, I really believe that you have read all manner of things into my comments that I did not make. The very last thing I do is attack people, and I have not attacked or criticised you. I do feel attacked and criticised by you, however, and I really cannot understand where you find reason for this.
    I agree and applaud you Derek!

What I took away from Rafeal's post pertaining to "sales pitches" was that WP was using that as marketing hype. This is what I have always thought when I watched their ads. Similar to a car salesman saying if you do not buy this car today, it will be gone tomorrow.
    Will, your immediate and virulent attack on Rafeal and taking it extremely personal detracts from the veracity of your review. If I understand you correctly, You are comfortable spending that amount of money on a guide, while some of us are not. You consider it money well spent, which is really all that matters. You desired to present it as another option to the rest of us in good faith. I would think you made all your points.
    He who works with his hands is a labourer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.
    Francis of Assisi

Rafael was responding to my written words, NOT WP's videos.

I do agree with your point.... WP videos and marketing style revolves around, ONE TIME TOOLS, that often run more than ONE TIME. And there is a bit of pressure to buy now, or you may never get another chance. I was always unsure if this is a pure marketing tactic, or its a financial decision, i.e. They can't risk doing a production run using their own cash, then allowing the product to sit in inventory hoping to sell it. This is a heavy outlay of cash. The system they employ, the customers finance their inventory up front. As a consumer, not ideal, but it might be the only way they can make their business model work. They are a private company and prob. not flushed with working capital. Just speculation.

I do notice they now are stocking some products though, maybe that will evolve through the years. BCT was the same until recently.

Fred, thank your commenting on the PRODUCT REVIEW! Reading most of the posts, I almost forgot this thread was about the use of a new product! I always wondered why there was so few product reviews on SMC, well, I learned the hard way! This review did serve a useful purpose IMO, it demonstrate to future members the risks of posting product reviews!

While I would NEVER initiate a thread like this again, I will continue to be grateful for those who do, and can better withstand the digital fire.
    Last edited by Will Blick; 09-01-2020 at 10:34 AM. Reason: grammar

Rafael was responding to my written words, NOT WP's videos.

While I would NEVER initiate a thread like this again, I will continue to be grateful for those who do, and can better withstand the digital fire.

Does this mean you don't want to be involved with the two new honing guides we're releasing this fall???

Cheers -

Rob

(kicking off tease season..... )

Argggg...
    Rob wish I had this information prior before I made the $400 WP plunge
    You know I buy all things LV...will prob. buy it anyway to support your company.
    but correct, I would never risk writing a review on the guide, at least on this forum...
    why?
    Responses:
    Shakespeare
    Waste of money
    Unsolicited life advise
    Personal attacks

I am sure the people on this list you give advance product to - will review it on SMC.
    if that is the case, despite this debacle, I would give him the same response I always do...
    Thank you Derek for taking the time to share your experience with this product.

Fair enough?

Argggg...
    (snip)

but correct, I would never risk writing a review on the guide, at least on this forum...
    why?
    Responses:
    Shakespeare
    Waste of money
    Unsolicited life advise
    Personal attacks

(snip)
    Hi - I hear that, and remember all of the people who used to be regular contributors on this and other boards, until they tired of the reactions to posted reviews....

Everyone's preferences and workflow are valid - there are no absolutes when it comes to craft.... that's why there are so many choices: no one can claim to have an ultimate solution.

Guides in particular are tricky. Most excel at a narrow range of function - and try to broaden that scope to appeal to many more users. The two we will release are certainly not aimed at replacing anything.

Guide #1 is a design I posted a photo of several years ago in more than one forum. It's one we decided not to produce at the time - but have recently re-visited, and tweaked a bit.

Guide #2 is designed to handle all of the weird stuff that no guide currently handles - especially small weirdly shaped blades.....

Neither should replace anything you may have now - nor will either necessarily solve a problem you have.... only you can decide that!

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Guide #2 is designed to handle all of the weird stuff that no guide currently handles - especially small weirdly shaped blades.....
    My first thought was "Scrub Plane"; I don't expect that anytime soon!

Edit

On second thought add in anything skewed as well.

Rob, as you read these forums, the biggest problem many of us have with the MKII is getting and keeping plane blades square in the jig....
    so I assume that will not be addressed in these future products?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi - I hear that, and remember all of the people who used to be regular contributors on this and other boards, until they tired of the reactions to posted reviews....

Everyone's preferences and workflow are valid - there are no absolutes when it comes to craft.... that's why there are so many choices: no one can claim to have an ultimate solution.

Guides in particular are tricky. Most excel at a narrow range of function - and try to broaden that scope to appeal to many more users. The two we will release are certainly not aimed at replacing anything.

Guide #1 is a design I posted a photo of several years ago in more than one forum. It's one we decided not to produce at the time - but have recently re-visited, and tweaked a bit.

Neither should replace anything you may have now - nor will either necessarily solve a problem you have.... only you can decide that!

Cheers -

Rob
    Wait a minute, can this sharpen the Veritas Detail Chisels that I LOVE. I guess they did not sell well since they are no longer sold, but when I am doing hand cut dovetails on a tiny box, these are what I use. My sister just asked me to make her one. Yeah, most people just cut a 45 and glue it for a box this small, but where is the fun in that.

I don't think it is possible for a guide to be able to handle something that small.... I think I need to just stop thinking about all those things that I have a problem sharpening. I am better at sharpening than I used to be, but still.

Rob, as you read these forums, the biggest problem many of us have with the MKII is getting and keeping plane blades square in the jig....
    The first jig will only do square ..... the second has no built in blade orientation or reference - and two basic angles (25 and 30), and will hold a large range of shapes sizes, as long as they're small, or short.....

Cheers -

Rob

I have had some struggles keeping the blades straight in the MK II. (But much better than in the MK I) I've started cranking down the knurled knobs with pliers and that has helped a lot. Finger tightening wasn't working in all cases for me.
    I just got a pair of soft jaw pliers so I can keep my pretty brass knurls... all pretty.

I used pliers ALWAYS
    I put some hard adhesive backed foam on top and bottom, that helps a little too...
    I get it square, using the mini WP square (perfect for this task)
    I gently use the guide on the stones, and when done, I re check square...
    more than half the time, its no longer square. Super frustrating, hence why I thought I would start this post. I called LV tech, they were super helpful and courteous, as always... they even sent me another one to try, but, same issue.

I prepared an old Sargent & Co. tapered iron as a scrub blade for my wooden jack. It's a hefty 2 1/4" wide by 7 3/4" long iron. Perhaps pursuing precise angles using guides and other aids provides some satisfaction, but at this level at least, it does not make a big difference. It took about 1 hour and a half to prepare the blade.

20200907_212926.jpg
    These are pictures of the iron after the rust was cleaned. The edge was badly chipped, a straight line drawn on the face of the iron was used to guide me to grind the camber on a bench grinder. The radius is roughly 10".

20200907_213029.jpg
    The face of the iron, it had moderate pitting in the middle. The reason why I decided to make it a scrub iron.

20200907_223727.jpg
    I think this took about 30 minutes. The pitting is almost gone. Sand paper and diamond stones. The mirror finish is easily achieved with a strop and fine buffing compound.

20200907_223630.jpg
    The bevel sharpened free hand with a Washita stone and then stropped.

I find this satisfying.

I don't believe I need more than a cheap honing guide for the times I need to reset a blade to get the task done. I would rather spend the limited budget I have buying more vintage irons or chisels.

Will, if I offended you with my previous responses please accept my apologies. Each one of us are into this hobby for different reasons, whatever they are they're important to us and we want to share them sometimes, we don't always get the response or reactions we expect, though.

Cheers,

Rafael