Thread: Outdoor Table Design

Outdoor Table Design

I’m looking to build an eating area for my back porch and am looking for some input. I want to build a counter height (~36”) table at 6’ long and in the 24-30” width range. My main question is what do you all suggest for the base? Typical 4 leg and apron or maybe something different? Wife is wanting to use bar stools for the seating. A little more background, I have built a few small tables and other small projects so basically a noob.

Stationary tools:
    table saw
    drill press
    miter saw

Other tools:
    plunge/fixed base router
    jig saw
    sander
    kreg k5
    smattering of bar, f-style, and quick clamps
    and other common stuff

Also any tip for wood species or finish would be welcome. Porch is covered but there is still some rain blown in. Thanks!

Jacob, 6’ of table length will seat two each side and one on each end, even with 3’ of width it will be cozy, is that your plan? Buy the bar stools first and work out a good table height. If you make the table narrower you will have to stagger the seating on each side and forget the end seating, it should seat three. Width makes the table far more useful and stable.
    You can build a narrow bar for three on one side and a fold up side for two more staggered seating. Standard legs and stretchers will do very well. Do some scale drawings of the deck with walk around space and view considerations. Anchor the table on any possible wall or support.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I will be able to anchor one end to a wall. I could go a little bigger than 30”. The porch is fairly narrow so I can’t go too wide.

Blog Entries
    I made this table for my daughter and her family. It is a bit larger than what you are looking for, but it should be easy enough to resize. It has proven to be quite sturdy.

IMG_2047.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Just wondering if the seat stretchers get kicked by peoples heels as they are so low?
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!