Thread: New Keyless Chuck for Jet JDP-15B Drill Press

New Keyless Chuck for Jet JDP-15B Drill Press

First post, long time lurker. Be kind.

I currently have a Jet 15" bench top drill press and for multiple reasons would like to replace the current keyed chuck with a keyless version. Current chuck is 2JT with an 2JT/3MT arbor. Also, for multiple reasons I do not buy knock off or inexpensive imports. So I have several questions that I would like help to answer:

1.) Should I go with the same 2JT or switch to a 33JT? Is there really any difference?

2.) Should I also replace the arbor even if I stay with a 2JT?

3.) I am considering Bison and Rohm. Others? Jacobs seem to have lots of critics relating to quality. I have no idea except that I know that I can't afford and don't need an Albrecht!

4.) Current chuck is 5/8" max which seems to be pretty large for a 2JT according to the research that I have done. 1/2" good enough?

5.) Anything else?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Wrzos; 08-29-2020 at 11:27 AM.

I would consider the minimum drill shank diameter it will chuck, more than the largest. Especially since you have a backup 5/8" chuck if you need that big.

Many 1/2" chucks will go down to 1/32, whereas many 5/8" chucks won't go below 1/8.

I wouldn't be that picky about the chuck's taper, just get an arbor to match it. I would get a new arbor anyway, especially if you go with a 1/2" chuck, since it is easier to change out arbor+chuck as a unit than it is to swap chucks on an arbor. Make sure you get a tang arbor, since those are easier to remove from the DP spindle (using a drift wedge).

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Tom,
    You don't give much indication of where your financial vs quality tipping-point lives, but I put a key-less Jacobs JK-130-J33 on my DP and it has been flawless for 6-8 yrs. Quick check of prices looks almost identical for then vs now (~$100). I have not used a dial-indicator to check run-out, as I am certain it is way better than my woodworking needs.

I used a new arbor, so changes to the old 3/4" keyed chuck are quick and painless.

I've found a couple used Albrecht's on ebay in the $100-150 range; I now have one on my DP and one that I use on my lathe. They are the smoothest operating chucks I've ever used, hold tenaciously, runout smaller than I can measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Tom,
    You don't give much indication of where your financial vs quality tipping-point lives, but I put a key-less Jacobs JK-130-J33 on my DP and it has been flawless for 6-8 yrs. Quick check of prices looks almost identical for then vs now (~$100). I have not used a dial-indicator to check run-out, as I am certain it is way better than my woodworking needs.

I used a new arbor, so changes to the old 3/4" keyed chuck are quick and painless.
    Hi Malcolm,

My price range is anywhere between $100-200 including a new arbor. Thank you for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    I would consider the minimum drill shank diameter it will chuck, more than the largest. Especially since you have a backup 5/8" chuck if you need that big.

Many 1/2" chucks will go down to 1/32, whereas many 5/8" chucks won't go below 1/8.

I wouldn't be that picky about the chuck's taper, just get an arbor to match it. I would get a new arbor anyway, especially if you go with a 1/2" chuck, since it is easier to change out arbor+chuck as a unit than it is to swap chucks on an arbor. Make sure you get a tang arbor, since those are easier to remove from the DP spindle (using a drift wedge).

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    Hi Andy,

Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely get a new arbor and that opens up things between a JT2 and JT33. I will stick to a 1/32" and a 1/2" max.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I've found a couple used Albrecht's on ebay in the $100-150 range; I now have one on my DP and one that I use on my lathe. They are the smoothest operating chucks I've ever used, hold tenaciously, runout smaller than I can measure.
    Hi Roger,

I will check out ebay. Good suggestion.

Regards,

Tom

8. Tom,
    I bought a used drill press for 100 bucks a few years back, which happened to have an Albrecht chuck on it. It is an amazingly well made devise and I would highly recommend considering a used one. What a nice surprise!

Keyless

I purchased this one about 6-8 months ago for my floor model Delta (965?) Llambrich brand. Really like it. I did not realize what I was missing using a keyed chuck all those years.

Jim

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Roger,

Nothing on ebay now. Good idea though and worth the time to check.

Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Giles View Post
    Tom,
    I bought a used drill press for 100 bucks a few years back, which happened to have an Albrecht chuck on it. It is an amazingly well made devise and I would highly recommend considering a used one. What a nice surprise!
    Christopher,

You are a lucky man. Nothing on ebay now.

Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I purchased this one about 6-8 months ago for my floor model Delta (965?) Llambrich brand. Really like it. I did not realize what I was missing using a keyed chuck all those years.

Jim

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Jim,

This weekend I had come across Llambrich, looked it up today and just ordered a version with an integral arbor just before I saw your post. I'm glad that you really like yours. I'm anxious to see if it fits and how it works. I also highly considered Bison and Rohm. I like the idea of Llambrich because of where it is made. Everyone is different but for me that is an important consideration if I have a choice.

Regards,

Tom