Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to make this entertainment center

I want to make this entertainment center

I'm in love. The perfect finishing touch for a MCM man cave. Unfortunately were I to actually make it I might have to find my own house to put it in.

118533546_2741187162762030_1201619353676815972_n.jpg

Interesting how technology has affected furniture...design, options, commissions. Not to many being built these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Interesting how technology has affected furniture...design, options, commissions. Not to many being built these days.
    Not too many what being built these days? Entertainment centers?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I really like the credenza, the TV surround, it's cool but.. Yea that would require a mid-century building to work (I don't think I could pull it off in the Santa Fe I live in, and they're pretty much wide open to styles).
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I think George has that entertainment stand. Gearge Jetson.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I think George has that entertainment stand. Gearge Jetson.

My thoughts exactly. The theme song started in my head as soon as I saw the picture . . . The Kuba series. Images from my childhood . . . Meet George Jetson, da-da-da-da-da-da
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-29-2020 at 3:44 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Love the trellises & picket fence. I could imagine sitting there watching The Wizard of Oz.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Not too many what being built these days? Entertainment centers?
    Yes, actually. That market has changed big-time because of how technology has changed. Large flat screens are best mounted on the wall and the size of components to drive them are tiny compared to "back in the day". Even a credenza type EC isn't required anymore with digital media, high quality sound bars with wireless back channels and subs, AppleTV/Roku/Etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Funny, a credenza is on deck as the next furniture project. But, I still have turntables and those, actually need the space.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Mike, there are many folks who still need something like a credenza for equipment like turntables and other larger audio/video/entertainment gear, especially if it's equipment that they have been using for years and enjoy retaining. For folks buying a lot of the current generation stuff, which is likely the majority of the market for new gear now, there's less of a housing need.

Anyone, please don't take my comment in post 8 as saying that specific purpose EC furniture isn't needed. I was just pointing out that the "general market" for the same has decreased substantially as technology has changed and gotten smaller.

-----

Now, there's something to think about: How might you implement the look of what the OP shows in the photo into a modern, current media room? I'd have a large screen wall mounted with a shaped surround physically placed on the wall. The lower portion would have much less depth (because I use small stuff like AppleTV and have no "cable" STBs, etc., to house, so it would mostly be shelf for knick-knacks and art, hopefully coordinated with the theme.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-30-2020 at 9:22 AM.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Funny, a credenza is on deck as the next furniture project. But, I still have turntables and those, actually need the space.
    Same here. I guess most people dont have real sound systems anymore as Im not sure where else youd put the receiver, amps, video game consoles, PC, etc. Or maybe Ive just got too much stuff! lol That could be the problem.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Yea, Jim.. I know I'm an 'oddball' in that regard (although I did go through really drastic measures to wall mount a TV on an adobe wall). Because of that, I'll be heavily stealing (I admit it fully) from Nakashima's credenza designs. That way it'll look like a regular piece of furniture (that just happens to have turntables on it).

Although, one of my tables was originally sold with or without plinth, so there's always been a small temptation to go full on mid-century modern stereo console.. I'm not sure my wife would be happy with that
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

You're not an odd-ball, Mike. There are many folks who have some great gear that they have enjoyed for a long time and there's no reason to switch to something else.

Ben, I'll suggest that "real" sound systems still exist, but the form factor has changed greatly in many cases. You can still buy the bigger stuff, although the selection isn't there in the mass market. Down in our media room (that we rarely use), I have a "more traditional sized" A/V receiver. (purchased in 2008) In our master bedroom, it's a nice soundbar and sub. They both sound great, although I will acknowledge that the larger sub downstairs is better at shaking one's bones than the smaller one in the bedroom. I think I have a nice turntable in storage above my shop, but it's not been actually used since the early 1990s, AFAIK.
    --

There are still fans of vacuum tube audio amplifiers, which are very large (and hot), compared to modern solid state ones. But that's a tiny market.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Wow. That's like The Jetsons meet Jet-Setting-Playboy-circa-1960.

With a setup like that, I'd put on a turteneck sweater, mix some cocktails and wait for my date to arrive.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”