Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: storing wide belts - any brilliant ideas?

storing wide belts - any brilliant ideas?

my wide belts are in the way. always. does anyone have a storage suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by David Zaret View Post
    my wide belts are in the way. always. does anyone have a storage suggestion?
    I keep them in boxes and throw them on top of one of my tall cabinets, but, yes I'm looking for a better solution too.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Here is my solution. I pieced it together from plywood off cuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hang them on the wall. Use floor flange with a piece of iron pipe. Over iron pipe, slip a piece of 4" PVC pipe to hang belts on.

nest them inside each other in order and stand them on the floor 16"x54"
    when using go from outside 40 grit to 60, 80, 100, keep 120, 150, 180 separate as don't go that far until after glue up, etc
    like the plywood rack just need that much room
    Ron

hang on pipe from the ceiling with a rope and some pulleys
    Bill D

Throw them over the dc pipes

Mine are hanging from a home made rack hanging on the wall similar to Bruce's only with plywood "fingers" instead of pipe. It's pretty high up above the wood lathe adjacent to the wide belt but not so high I can't take them on and off without a stepstool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Mine are hanging from a home made rack hanging on the wall similar to Bruce's only with plywood "fingers" instead of pipe. It's pretty high up above the wood lathe adjacent to the wide belt but not so high I can't take them on and off without a stepstool.

Make you a retrieval tool similar to what they use to get fan belts down from overhead. No stool needed and they can be put up high out of the way.

My former employer's shop has a couple of racks with 3/4" pipe floor flanges mounted to the wall and 4 or 5 pipes on tees mounted between them. The horizontal pipes can be folded back against the wall or swung out for access and are covered with 4" cardboard tubes to keep the belts from kinking.

I made a rack with 6” PVC attached to ply and braced above the wbs. I have to climb up on the outfeed table, but sander is 3 head so not many changes. New belts I keep in the box till a couple days before needed.

9B5777EB-0A68-4626-AB86-F636B9FE5281.jpg
    50EEB684-0D0F-4009-8146-A77BC88EF7DF.jpg
    3B68563D-5709-4F2E-AB9C-4B9DD826AF64.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 08-31-2020 at 2:10 PM.

My solution was very simple. A SYP 2x12 x 7', several pieces of 55" EMT, and a forstner bit. The belts are 52" wide and usually we nestle several belts inside of one another on the EMT.

WBS racks.jpg

We box up the belts that need cleaning and ship them to the belt cleaners every month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    We box up the belts that need cleaning and ship them to the belt cleaners every month or so.
    That's a service?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    That's a service?
    Yup. Probably saves me over $1000 annually by cleaning and reusing, as opposed to replacing.

The Kindt- Collins "pitch solvent" works well. Best to use it out doors.