Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Great Budget Ruler

I picked up two of them also.

Thanks for the tip.

Thank you for the tip. I just ordered 2 as well. They were $8.55 each.

I feel better about them not being fakes as they are sold and shipped by Amazon and not a third party seller.

Mine arrived this afternoon from Amazon......

some comments

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Thanks. I just ordered one too after reading your description.
    I got the rule today an it looks great. I'm glad it's a meter stick instead of a yard stick.

The conversions on the back are OK but I would have preferred a that face to mirror the first. The information on how to read a mm scale in cm is amusing. The conversions are in need of a bit of editing for consistency, accuracy, completeness, and spelling. Some of the conversions are rounded to two significant digits and some to one. Of those few I checked one number is simply wrong, off by about 20%. I didn't know there were .26 US gallons in a "liger" (a cross between a male lion and female tiger). And one conversion is missing, the number of square inches per sq cm:

Starrett-MS-2-scale.jpg

Overall not a big deal. The price is excellent for the size of the scale and the edges are surprisingly straight. I'll get a lot of use from this. I might order another.

JKJ

I totally agree!!! It is a little bit of a pain having to flip it around and I think it would have been better to have metric going left to right and right to left on one side and imperial l2r and r2l on the back face. That would have made it perfect.

That bit about omitting the zeros to “convert” mm to cm is priceless!!!

You can buy them directly from Starrett for about the same price. I'm sure there will be shipping charges though. I'm guessing that these come from their China plant. But someone really needs to check on those conversions. I would love to see someone use a meter stick to measure a hectare.

https://www.starrett.com/category/jo...&sortBy=wp/asc

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    You can buy them directly from Starrett for about the same price. I'm sure there will be shipping charges though. I'm guessing that these come from their China plant. But someone really needs to check on those conversions. I would love to see someone use a meter stick to measure a hectare.

https://www.starrett.com/category/jo...&sortBy=wp/asc
    Yes, it was marked Made in China somewhere, probably on the package label. I sent feedback to Starrett.

JKJ

If I need to do a conversion, I use the computers in the shop as Google will do it very nicely. Reading tables isn't my idea of accuracy or fun.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Reegarding conversions, I keep a conversion calc in the shop and use it all the time! (LINK)
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I am forever pulling out my phone and searching "X mm to inch fraction" or vice versa.

I printed out tables but they never seem to end up in a convenient location.

I'm considering tatooing the conversion tables on my forearm. The downside with this is that I can't go longer than a cubit. (If I had a nickel for every time I needed to convert square cubits to hectares...)

Why convert? It just creates error.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Mine came in yesterday, very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Why convert? It just creates error.
    I agree with this conceptually and try hard in practice (I prefer metric), but practically, it's sometimes necessary.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Starrett responds

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I totally agree!!! It is a little bit of a pain having to flip it around and I think it would have been better to have metric going left to right and right to left on one side and imperial l2r and r2l on the back face. That would have made it perfect.

That bit about omitting the zeros to “convert” mm to cm is priceless!!!
    A Starrett Engineering and Quality Manager wrote back to me today:

"We’ve seen these issues in the past and thought they had been addressed but as you noticed we still have some work to do. Thanks for bringing it up to our attention. We’ll work on getting these rules right and we’ll keep your comments in mind on how to improve the product."

Has anyone checked these for straightness? I've read reviews of their cheap squares that said they weren't true. Just curious.