Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Great Budget Ruler

A Great Budget Ruler

Starrett MS2 aluminum 1meter ruler.

I just got this and had to post about it. I appreciate the need for at least one or two precision straight edges and rulers. But often, it’s more important to have one that’s easy to read, starts at 0, is long enough , and is light enough, and has both inches and mm markings, and doesn’t obfuscate with micro tick marks.

This ruler is fantastic for all those reasons. It goes to 1/8” and 1mm. Most times this is fine for me. It’s only an inch wide and aluminum so it’s light.

Even as a straight edge, it’s pretty good.

And it was $9 online.

Had to share.

Thanks for the tip Prashun. I know just what you mean about simple, light and not having micro tick marks. I bought a set of these from LV and they are my go-to rules. LINK Unfortunately they arent available in 24" or 36". So your Starrett may be just what the doctor ordered. Thanks!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

How accurate is it relative to your other rules? I have the steel Woodriver version in this length and it's bang-on identical to the set of rules I got from Lee Valley years ago. But for nine bucks at Amazon, I might consider picking one or two of these up for extra utility.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you, ordered it from Amazon.

Thanks. I just ordered one too after reading your description.

It’s right on compared to the 2 other Starrett 36” imperial aluminum rulers I have, which I assume are of similar middle road quality. I’ve used those for a couple years now and my work has been fine.

I cannot vouch for their absolute accuracy, though. I fully confess that I am not an authority on precision. This is just good enough and frankly a joy to look at and use for me. I think it’s the tickle I get that it was so cheap and says “Starrett”

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Thanks. I just ordered one too after reading your description.

same here. Thx for the tip
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

These larger/thicker Starrett rulers really do come in handy. I have four of the ASE series (24", 48, and 72") and they have been great to have around.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Does it really start at zero? I do not think i have seen that except with sliding adjustable squares.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    Great price. Thanks for the tip Prashun.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Starrett makes these "economy" rules in lots of different lengths up to 6'. I think they call them carpenter's squares.

Thanks for tip Prashun. Just ordered one.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I like the harbor freight 1/8 x 1and 5/8x 48 They always have a bunch, so you can check two or many more together
    for straightness. But they are all good. Marked sensible USA style on one edge and "foreign " on the other.

I grabbed one too, thanks Prashun. I have a thicker aluminum yard stick (that I think I got as a freebie from someone’s post here years ago) but it doesn’t start at 0, which is inconvenient for woodworking.

It does start at 0 - at least 0-ish.