Thread: 2020 is a Bad Year for Many Things

Blog Entries

2020 is a Bad Year for Many Things

It didn't occur to me that wood mills would also have a slow year. One of my summer chores is to purchase three yards of mill ends for firewood. This year the vendor was only able to get sixteen yards. Due to my continued calling to check on availability it was my good fortune to get my usual load.

Usually there are some pieces cut to 8/4 and 5/4. This year all but a few small pieces were rough cut to 7/8".

Even those had more smaller pieces than usual.

At least there are a few nice pieces to pull out for some projects other than burning.

Burning firewood is a very efficient source of heat. It warms you when you cut it, when you stack it, when you pack it and when you burn it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It's sure not because of lack of building, but so many back yard fire pits. Here each day the local freight train is 90% cement, drywall, framing lumber, and chicken feed (corn, soybeans etc.) Friend wanted to BBQ a whole pig in early November. Stopped over at local wood yard that also has a band saw mill to ask about getting some slabs (outer side of logs from squaring them up.) Usually during summer, slabs are free, but I had to pay $40 for a bundle. Said they couldn't process fire wood fast enough to keep up with demand, and it was summer.

Blog Entries
    Said they couldn't process fire wood fast enough to keep up with demand, and it was summer.
    May be a lot of people stocking up. Burning firewood is usually cheaper than electric or gas heat. If they had more, my intention was to purchase two loads this year because none of my trees needed falling.

The vendor has had alder over the years. So it isn't construction lumber. There have also been less logging trucks on the road this summer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I'm going to guess that the mills will be cranking back up soon due to the Louisiana hurricane and all the damage which needs to be repaired or completely rebuilt.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    The storm did not come through my back yard like Harvey did.

It is a good year.

I haven't gotten around to ordering my winter firewood yet, but the usual sources here in southeast PA seem to have a healthy supply. More than usual in fact.

My local rough lumber sources have been weird though. Normally I go pick through the bins and find what I want with the figure I want. Now they're offering to prepare your order for curbside pickup. That was the only option for a while, now they're letting masked people come in and pick again. I've never ever had a bad experience with my usual sources until this curbside deal. I seem to get lots of boards I would never select (despite assurances that they're mindful of your requests). They don't argue with me when I reject boards and go pick anyway (which seems to defeat the purpose) but still....

Blog Entries
    I haven't gotten around to ordering my winter firewood yet, but the usual sources here in southeast PA seem to have a healthy supply.
    If you are buying firewood from independent sources, they may have had more 'free time' to cut firewood this year.

jtk

Because of the Ash Borer, fire wood has to be kiln dried if sold across county lines. Sure hurts when you have a recreational lake that spans several counties. Tell a customer you can't sell him any wood, but the guy just over the county line can