Thread: Sofa desk / end table - need advice

Sofa desk / end table - need advice

Been working from home a lot and my fave work spot is at edge of sofa. So I want to build an end table that will also double as a laptop desk with a lid that rotates out over the arm of the sofa. I also want to build a storage area under the lid to store the laptop when it's not in use. I've come up with a Sketchup design but I can't get it down to below 220kb and limit is 97. So I've attached a couple of screenshot jpg's showing the lid open and closed and with lid 50% transparent.

I have a few concerns - number one being I've never made anything like this before and I'm worried about what things I should be concerned about that I don't have the experience to know to be concerned about

But a couple of questions I thought of from making the SketchUp plan.
    1. Sturdiness -
    I'm going to use 6" 400lb rated lazy susan hardware for the rotation, but I'm concerned that the weak point will be the 4 screws going up into the 3/4" lid. What can I do to make sure that lid won't come loose if someone leans on the lid while it's open?

2. Bowing -
    What can I do to make sure the lid doesn't warp/bow over time? I'm concerned being open over the sofa arm with laptop weight on it that over time, it will start to curve down and then not close correctly.

3. Heat control -
    This isn't shown on drawing, but I was planning to just drill a hole for a power cord to keep laptop charged in storage. Now I'm concerned there may be heat build up. I don't really want to add a fan, but now I'm thinking maybe a decorative hole pattern or lattice to allow airflow, but not impact sturdiness.

4. Locking position -
    I can't find anything like this, but what I also want is someway to lock the lid into position when it's open and closed. It doesn't have to be a super strong lock, I'd be fine with just a detente type stoppage. I was going to go with magnets, but then decided that that might be a bad idea to have sitting under/around the laptop. So now I'm thinking maybe a spring pin that pushes from the bottom into a hole in the lid and locks it in place.

sofa_desk_closed.JPGsofa_desk_open.JPGsofa_desk_lid_50percent_opaque.JPG

interesting design. I think i would make the top thicker. you could saw a groove and a shallow dado into the bottom and screw in a length of 1/2 in steel angle to keep it flat. you could also make it like a torsion box. for the bearing, i think i would have 2 lazy Susans. one where you have it now, and one on the bottom. you could have a "post" through the center and a disk on the bottom with another lazy Susan between the disk and bottom of the plate holding the top. this because its loaded like the slew ring of a crane, one side in tension and one side in compression. the lazy Susan on top near the turned out section will be in compression and the opposite side of the lower one in compression. keeping the tension sides from separating as they are not designed for tension. for the lock, i think i would just use a ball catch from a door.

i also think you will want a lower shelf full of books to keep it from tipping, alternatively a leg extending under the couch. i think you could just have a few larger holes, or use a sheet of pegboard for the bottom of the storage area for a vent.