Thread: Bad Polycrylic Finish

Bad Polycrylic Finish

I sprayed a project (rocking tractor) with polycrylic gloss over spray paint. It was pretty hot that day and I also must have sprayed too thick. Short story...the finish cracked and flaked on parts that are very hard to get to. Has anyone used denatured alcohol to "melt" the finish and rub it smooth? I'm really trying not to completely sand and refinish. An help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

HELP!!!

IMG_2089.jpg
    Last edited by James Schroedter; 08-28-2020 at 2:16 PM.

Alcohol isn't the solvent for most waterborne finishes...including Minwax Polycrylic. You'll likely need to strip and refinish. If you do, keep in mind that the spray paint you use must be FULLY cured before you put that top coat on there and you'll also need to lightly abrade it for proper adhesion. Fully cured for typical spray paints can take weeks, so don't be in a hurry. If time is of the essence, opt for a waterborne finish that can be tinted to the color you want.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finish was properly cured (app. 2-3 weeks in S Texas) and was sanded lightly before polycrylic was applied.

I started a couple of years ago, applying a coat of shellac over paint. Before applying any other finish.. so far so good
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Ok...that looks like a machine. Why the Polycrylic? That said, too heavy and hot could have caused the surface to cure quickly while under it remained soft. A barrier coat of was free shellac like Clark mentions may be a good idea in case there's some kind of incompatibility between the spray paint and the Polycrylic. A clear of the same brand/type as the paint is an alternative solution.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...