Thread: Rediscovering 35 Year Old Workmate

Rediscovering 35 Year Old Workmate

The B&D Workmate folding table bench was super handy when I first bought it in the mid 80s. Unfortunately it suffered from two issues that made me forget about it over time. It wouldn't stand on its own when folded and was tough on the hands when trying to remove it from storage. As a result it was often leaned up against a wall in the far corner of the shop and buried behind other tools.

It was time to remedy this or get rid of this little used but handy bench. With some scrap sheet materials and a little time, this super simple portable dolly proved to be something I should have done years ago. The trusty old Canadian built Workmate now stands on its own and is easily rolled into storage.

I had forgotten how many uses that table had, and am glad to be using it again after all these years.

Workmate 2.jpg

Workmate 1.jpg

The base has notched corners on one side because of where I store it in my shop. A rectangular base would have been preferable.
    Workmate 3.jpg

The Lee Valley bench saddles have given it a new use.
    Workmate 4.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    I have one that is about 40 years old & still find all kinds of uses for it. Mine doesn't have as wide a table, so is lighter and it does stand on its own when folded. I can't see myself ever getting rid of it.

I have a similar one that's probably older. I replaced the top pieces about a year ago when I needed it for extra support on a project after it sat outside...literally on our front porch...for years. There was a good thread here a number of months ago about Workmates including history information.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Dad bought one of these "back in the day ",so I grew up with one and wanted one of my own. I now have have three Workmates. One was rescued from the local dump,one from a friend and I bought the third used. I replace the top wooden jaws with one inch plywood and have even made new handles for the "vise" on my lathe. For storage I take a piece of 2''x 4" about 2 feet long and add a piece of 3/4'' plywood about five inches wide the same length flush on one edge. I screw this to the wall and hang the workmate from the wooden "jaws".

Thanks for the idea Dick. I have one too and it's in the corner.
    For fun, I googled "black and decker workmate hacks" and a ton of otner ideas came up.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Workmates also make very nice router tables. I used one at CNU when we had limited space but had to use a router table frequently. Made a flat top and glued a piece of stock to the bottom that the jaws could hold to keep the table stable. The router motor was mounted to the center through the stock we used to hold the table.

This doesn't look like much but it was the smoothest router table I have ever used, a coat of paste wax on the top and the sign blanks I edge prepped would slide like they were on bearings. I use to route a hundred ADA sign blanks per day on this table in the shop at CNU.

Picture number 3 is version 2 that I am working on now for my shop. It will be mounted on a hydraulic table on wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-31-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    One could probably write a book on things to use a workmate for. The design just makes it extremely versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Workmates also make very nice router tables. I used one at CNU when we had limited space but had to use a router table frequently. Made a flat top and glued a piece of stock to the bottom that the jaws could hold to keep the table stable. The router motor was mounted to the center through the stock we used to hold the table.

This doesn't look like much but it was the smoothest router table I have ever used, a coat of paste wax on the top and the sign blanks I edge prepped would slide like they were on bearings. I use to route a hundred ADA sign blanks per day on this table in the shop at CNU.

Picture number 3 is version 2 that I am working on now for my shop. It will be mounted on a hydraulic table on wheels.
    Is that a piece of solid surface material or Corian for the table top? I hadn't thought of that however it looks like it would be a perfect choice for a router table surface, especially with a coat of wax. Great use of the Workmate, simple and super portable.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-01-2020 at 8:49 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

Dick,

Yes, both router table tops are Dupont Corian but the new table I am building now is 3/4" thick Corian. When the time comes to replace the Workmate tops I plan to use solid surface material on both of my Workmates. These are project scraps that I usually put to good use, when scrap solid surface material gets to small for pen blanks it can go in the trash can

10. Workmates

Google on over to The Garage Journal (dot com).

There is a member who has cataloged the history of all the changes to the workmate through the years. Definitely the most complete I've seen anywhere. Some people love them. Some people hate them.

I've painted mine twice, and now I need a new top. The original had 20 mm holes that confounded Americans for years as it was a French design by a car designer no less.

So, do I replace the top with 20 mm holes or go with more commonly found 3/4 inch holes?

And yes, for those that want replacement parts are available online for some models.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-04-2020 at 10:16 AM.

I recently bought on off CL for $15. I drilled a bunch of holes in it to hold wood lathe tools. I mainly use it when I attend workshops at our turning club's shop. If I had more space in my shop, I'd likely use it more

I have had as many as 7 Work Mates at one time, but I think I'm down to three now. They are super useful, especially when doing work "out of shop" and making various accessories for them. I bought one, back in about 1970, then a couple from yard sales, then inherited a few, and a few just showed up. There have been many models and variations of models over the years that Black & Decker has been making them, and I don't think I've ever owned two that were exactly the same. I even have a very old one that has a frame made mostly of aluminum castings. Someone should write a book about Work Mates with pictures and descriptions of all of the models and variations. When I moved 800 miles and my shop was still in boxes, two of my Work Mates and basic hand tools took care of every little project that was needed for my new/older home until I was able to build a new shop at the new location. I doubt that I could live without at least two of them around. To store them, I put some T strips on the large hinged shop doors, and just leave the table open enough to fit over these T strips. They hang there very well, one above the other, and are easy to reach when I want one or more.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    ........ When I moved 800 miles and my shop was still in boxes, two of my Work Mates and basic hand tools took care of every little project that was needed for my new/older home until I was able to build a new shop at the new location............
    Charley
    I had a similar move and tools in storage for several months. I wound up purchasing a Festool MFT3 which allowed me to build most of the things I needed until my tools could be relocated into their new home. The Workmate would have been worth its weight in gold during that time. The MFT3 reminded me of just how useful that Workmate was.
    Dick Mahany.

Mine was my first "workbench". It was the Craftsman version. Room mate broke it. Replaced with a B&D version. Mine has a different leg mechanism.
    I was going to git rid of it years ago, but the wife took it into her hobby room. I have no idea what she uses it for. (But she still wants it).