Thread: Foredom SR or TX Rotary Tool?

Foredom SR or TX Rotary Tool?

I'm planning to order a Foredom rotary tool with a keyed shaft (not square drive) but can't decide on an SR or TX motor. The SR is a little cheaper but the TX has twice the horsepower with only a small reduction in speed. I intend to use this for both woodworking and metalworking. There have been countless times that a rotary tool would've been handy. Any suggestion from rotary tool users?

I have and use 3 of the Foredom SR all the time. Can't imagine my shop without them. I end up using them in some fashion on almost any project I do. That said, I only do woodworking so I am not sure of the requirements for metalworking. I have never lacked power or speed on the work I have done.
    You will be amazed at the ways that you will end up using this.

Jim

It seems most are satisfied with the Foredom SR so I'll probably go that direction.

I also have three of the Foredom SR models and find them to have plenty of power. (I like more than one to minimize switching bits when carving. Bought one used for cheap.)

I see lots of used? dental pneumatic handpieces on the bay for around $100. I think these are like 1/16 shaft and 100,000 rpm. Any thoughts on them. I would not want a water cooled one.
    Bill D.

I have the TX model, and I use carbide burrs on it- think round, but with file teeth. Anyway, I found the sweet spot for material removal speed without burning is only around half the rated RPM.
    I would not buy a faster machine.
    More power is better than more speed in this case.