Thread: Finally woodworking again after a 6 year hiatus....

Finally woodworking again after a 6 year hiatus....

Very cool to see the forum is still going. I joined here in 2003 and it looks like my registration is still active! I moved 3 times in the last 6 years and I finally have a garage again. Before I moved from Oklahoma I sold off my large woodworking stuff, but kept everything that fit in boxes.

I am now in Seattle and bought a house with a garage (although a 1 car...). I am buying all the equipment I need to get started again. Picked up a nice Grizzly cabinet saw for $400. I also got the deal of a century and got a Hammer A3-31 for $100 on Craigslist. It was a bit rusty, but is all cleaned up now. I just need to get 220v hooked up to see if it runs. In a couple of weeks i am going to pickup a Grizzly cyclone dust collector. Glad to be back everyone!

Any Seattle area peeps here?

https://imgur.com/5sdade8
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert Mayer; 08-28-2020 at 10:39 AM.

I am a long ways from Seattle Robert, but glad to see you have rejoined the fold. Why don't I find these Hammer/Minimax deals? Life is so unfair. I have changed my mind about you now Robert, you should go away.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I am a long ways from Seattle Robert, but glad to see you have rejoined the fold. Why don't I find these Hammer/Minimax deals? Life is so unfair. I have changed my mind about you now Robert, you should go away.
    Definitely a once in a lifetime deal. The guy even delivered it and said it was probably only good for parts. most of the parts were in a pile. I also got a nice router table fence that they thought went with it. I bet there is only a small handful of these around the area. I pretty excited about it, because i have a small garage and having a 12" capacity will be great.

Blog Entries
    I have been between shops for a little over a year. I can't imagine going much longer, congrats on returning with your sanity. Welcome back.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

lol, you bought it for $100 AND he delivered it!?! And I thought i had some gloat-worthy deals!

What was wrong with it that he thought it was broken?

Welcome back!!!!!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    lol, you bought it for $100 AND he delivered it!?! And I thought i had some gloat-worthy deals!

What was wrong with it that he thought it was broken?
    He apparently got it from an older lady who's husband passed away while he was moving in some new appliances, guessing he paid nothing for it. On first glance it was rusty and most of the fence was on the floor in pieces. So he must have figured it was broken. Her deceased husband is probably rolling over in his grave knowing his wife practically threw away a tool he likely paid $4k for. I tried really hard to contain my excitement when he opened the truck. The cast iron tops, blades, and misc bolts cleaned up nicely.

Welcome back!
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Welcome back!
    I disappeared from here for years too due to being self employed.
    I only built some cutting boards, four headboards, bath vanity, two interior storage benches, fireplace surround and a large kitchen island in 12 years. I never got any super deals on tools but did snag a like new 7k popup camper for 4200 once.

Welcome "home" Robert! 'Glad you're getting back in the game.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

"...deal of a century and got a Hammer A3-31 for $100 on Craigslist."

You suck.

Welcome back,good feeling when get to "TOOL UP" once again.

Welcome back. I took a break from the forums too and from WW. Moved & had a child. Been building a shop in my "spare" time. That Hammer though! That is an amazing amazing find I'm just sitting here shaking my head with no words. Congratulations on a great deal!