Thread: bathroom sinks ceramic or metal

bathroom sinks ceramic or metal

Just replacing a metal sink next door that is leaking .Can see it rotted out. Stared for a while at the Depot offerings and picked a middle priced one. Ideally id be doing a fancy vanity and undermount with some nice top but this is just get it working for now.

I opened the box only to find the sink in two pieces.

Whats the thinking on sinks,. the metal one has rusted right through and ive seen that before. The ceramic one would have been broken already at the store.

P2420840A.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 08-28-2020 at 9:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Ceramic sinks are much nicer than the cheap enameled steel sinks. Once the sink is in place there is little danger of it being broken. A steel sink will get chips in the enamel way easier than a ceramic sink will.

Cast iron lasts 75 years or more unless you drop something sharp on it and chip the enamel. Even with a chip cast does not rust very fast. 200 year old cast iron water pipe is still in use today.
    I replaced a chipped Kholer bath sink with the same size one about 70 years afterwards. Pretty easy job. I reused the stainless support ring since a new one was $40! for a single sink. Warm the putty in the microwave first. I hate those raised sinks like yours that stick so far above the counter. No way to sweep water splash down the drain.
    Bill D

I put two toto clayton top mounts in years ago as it was an existing vanity with the top staying at the time so no luxury of undermount, same for this rental home. Other places i built 5k vanities they had undermount and granite tops or quartz. This will be that but not at the moment. I hate to do it twice but people living in there now so fast solve is the way.

Frank what makes the ceramic much nicer just the weight or? The totos I cant remember but think there were heavy so they were ceramic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Frank what makes the ceramic much nicer just the weight or? The totos I cant remember but think there were heavy so they were ceramic.
    The surface has a nicer look to it, the sound when water is running in it, just generally more luxurious . But if it's for a rental, I'd go with the steel sink as they're cheaper & will still last a long time.

thanks Frank that is all I needed to hear. It was mid price and im fine, it comes out when they are gone and a vanity nice top sink and taps will go at once

Thanks as soon as I read your post I knew what I chose was a fine choice for now had it not been in two pieces thanks on that.

What about taps choice is two handles or one center. On the fancy stuff I did in the past it was a two handle old looking tap and very nice for now i got a single one, I guess easier to use that two handles as all is done from one