Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else having problems finding SquareD circuit breakers?

Anyone else having problems finding SquareD circuit breakers?

I’ve been to 3 different Lowe’s/Home Depot’s and they are all completely out of double-pole 20Amp Homeline circuit breakers. If anyone has a good online source let me know.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

2. Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    I’ve been to 3 different Lowe’s/Home Depot’s and they are all completely out of double-pole 20Amp Homeline circuit breakers. If anyone has a good online source let me know.
    I was until last week. Happened to go to a Lowes in Campbellsville KY and they had just got a shipment in. They had been waiting 4 months and had stores from all over the country calling for them. I needed 16 of them. Expensive buggers.

Have you tried an electrical supply place?

HD says they are in stock at 18 of 19 stores in our region. .

I get mine from mcmaster.com.

Yes, look at the online versions for your home centers to see if there is stock in other stores or availability for ship to store or ship to home. And the suggestion to check with local electrical supply houses is also good. Most will sell to consumers. Their price may be slightly higher, but most are also local small business worthy of support.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm pretty sure the Eaton CL series are listed for use in a Homeline panel if you can find one of those. Check the label on the box for listed use.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I've found ebay is a good place to find almost any size breaker. The last one I got was a 240v double breaker. It's 240v 40amps in the center with two 120v 20 breakers. Just an FYI if you are installing it yourself. The Homeline double breakers fit into select slots on your AC panel. On mine it's the bottom slots.

Cutler Hammer BR and Siemens/ ITE are the same as Homeline. GE may fit. If it's getting inspected, you may have to use OEM. I would try the electrical supply house. In Philadelphia Colonial sells Square D and Billows sells CH. You may have to find one that is a Square D house.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Coryell View Post
    If it's getting inspected, you may have to use OEM. I would try the electrical supply house.

Good point. You can use any brand that is UL listed for that specific use but it's up to you to prove to the inspector that the device is indeed listed. It's a good idea to save the box that's labeled with the listing in case an inspector questions it.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I think there Mexico plant had a fire within the last month. Foster farms chicken plant was just shut down for over 200 covid cases with two dead so far. So chicken prices will soon rise as well.
    Bill D

Strange, no shortage of Square D QO breakers. Just bought a couple last week.

Made in a different place.

Yes, recently found a 30 amp double pole online at Ace Hardware. Ditto what Bill said, they had a fire at the plant in Mexico that produces the QO series double pole breakers.

After six months of uncertainty I am beginning to see changes in inventory management in local retail. Our coffee maker went out and locally we were unable to find a good coffee maker. That would seem to me an easy find, but not so.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Coryell View Post
    Cutler Hammer BR and Siemens/ ITE are the same as Homeline. GE may fit. If it's getting inspected, you may have to use OEM. I would try the electrical supply house. In Philadelphia Colonial sells Square D and Billows sells CH. You may have to find one that is a Square D house.
    No they are not the same, only SQ D HOM breakers are listed for use in Homeline panels, Eaton CL is UL classified for use in SQ HOM loadcenters,& other makes of panels, to my knowledge no other breakers are classified for SQ D HOM panels, and if you do not have paperwork stating it has been tested & classified to be used in a competitive panel, it is not OK to do so, BTW SQ D is not classified to be be used in any panel, always a sign of hack work when they are in a competitive panel. There are complaints about the lack of availability of SQ D breakers on the professional electrical forums too.

A note,the ONLY breakers listed for any panel are the same make, some have been classified by UL, to be used in competitive makes, Eaton, has UL classified breakers for Square D QO, and HOM, Siemens, makes UL classified breakers for QO.