Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sound proof enclosure for air compressor and dust collector question.

sound proof enclosure for air compressor and dust collector question.

Do you have to close off the top of the enclosure? I kind of just want to use plywood and make it wrap around the compressor and dust collector, but make it go like 2ft taller than each machine, then put in a fan on one of the walls to circulate the air inside. So basically insulate the plywood and enclose it all except for the top. Would that still cut down on sound a bunch? I don't like some of these enclosures that completely close off the machine, i feel it's going to cause them to run too hot. And yes the dust collector and air compressor will be in separate enclosures, not together. Just want to make sure the neighbors hear the least amount of noise as possible, even though the nearest neighbor is about 100 feet away and that's the garage, their house is probably 150ft away.

Blog Entries
    I have both the dust collector and air compressor in a common, sound attenuated enclosure. There is an acoustically insulated, serpentine return air duct to the shop. That takes care of all the air needed to cool things. It's very effective.

When you install an in wall fan into the box, so you install it so the fan is blowing outside air in or inside air out of the box?

any small opening lets out a lot of noise. it has to have a bottom, a top and all sides closed off. crack open a house window just one inch and see how much car noise comes in. I am still waiting for active noise canceling for a dc and or ac unit.. seems like it should be easy with a very limited range needed. maybe just one silenced duct for in/out with the rest soundproofed.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-27-2020 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    I have one of those venting my shop.. If you're blowing air into the box, it's got to vent elsewhere (and that fans gonna need about 2-3sqft of vent most likely).
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Yeah I guess you want it to blow outside.

Your air compressor is a pump. It has to draw air from somewhere before it can compress it. A sealed, enclosure will quickly create a vacuum as the compressor draws all the available air from the enclosure.

Sound and vibration are related so put your compressor on rubber pads.
    You can build an enclosure and put Styrofoam or cork or something soft that the sound cannot reflect off of.
    Your are cleaner would require some duct work
    To make it quiet.

This will help reduce the noise but will not eliminate it.

Yes, I do. Lots of threads on this here, too.

I have a closet for both the compressor and cyclone that is designed for sound abatement and with an indirect return path to the shop for air.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I installed my compressor in the attic, and plumbed the air line down through the wall to a pressure gauge and a Lincoln air connector. Power switch is a switch on the wall beside the air outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    Do you have to close off the top of the enclosure? I kind of just want to use plywood and make it wrap around the compressor and dust collector, but make it go like 2ft taller than each machine, then put in a fan on one of the walls to circulate the air inside. So basically insulate the plywood and enclose it all except for the top. Would that still cut down on sound a bunch? I don't like some of these enclosures that completely close off the machine, i feel it's going to cause them to run too hot. And yes the dust collector and air compressor will be in separate enclosures, not together. Just want to make sure the neighbors hear the least amount of noise as possible, even though the nearest neighbor is about 100 feet away and that's the garage, their house is probably 150ft away.
    Probably no such thing as "sound proof" but sound reducing. Absolutely insulate the top too or the sound will go up and bounce off the ceiling. I have cyclone and air compressor, both with 5 hp motors, in a 4x8 closet with insulation all around. The air is returned through a baffled duct that changes direction several times. The motors don't get excessively hot (are within specs) even with extended use.

Sound can be transmitted directly through plywood walls almost like a sound board on a piano unless well insulated. I used 1/2" ply inside and out but didn't support the ply with studs that touched both sides - I used staggered stud walls with insulation wound between. This is sometimes used in sound studios. I used 2x4 studs on 6" thick walls.

staggered_studs_IMG_2013071.jpg

The reduction in sound is incredible. The cyclone was so loud it was painful, the compressor was so annoying. Now I can easily carry on a conversation in the shop.

My old shop adjoined our living room. It was the most convenient shop I ever had. When I built the wall, I did 2x6 staggered studs.. and filled the cavity with rock wool, and skinned it with 2 staggered layers of 5/8" rock. No one complained about noise. The technique works really well.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Well the first thing I'm going to do is turn on the compressor, walk 50ft out into the road and see how loud it is to begin with. Maybe I can get away with not doing the compressor and just do a box for the dust collector. I'm not as concerned about cooling with the dust collector. The air compressor is a quincy, so it's not too loud to begin with.

My compressor / cyclone room is also about 4' x 8'. The best soundproofing I came up with for a small budget was moving blankets. Thicker the better.

They cut the sound level coming out of the closet by more than 10dB.

Check out Amazon for them. Cheap and works. Of course, if you could do real sound insulation like Roxul Safe N Sound with an air gap, even better. For my workshop I used double 5/8" drywall with Green Glue between layers on each side. 2x6 walls with Roxul Safe N Sound insulation.

This drops noise levels over 30db, which is incredible.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.