Thread: Unisaw and Jet Xacta rails+Fence

Unisaw and Jet Xacta rails+Fence

Howdy all! I was gifted a used Jet Xacta fence+rails. I have an old Unisaw. The current Xacta rails have been modified once before by someone. I scoured google for anyone mentioning these two pieces being used together and can't seem to find anything. So my questions are:

• Is there any reason these shouldn't work together?
    • Is there any suggestions on how to fill the holes? The OEM holes don't line up, nor do the second sets, with the Unisaw's rail holes and I don't know whether I should drill new into the table saw (which I really want to avoid if possible) or the rails (which is what I'm thinking is more prudent)
    • Any thoughts on why I should or should not use this setup? Seems like it's a good setup and I can't come up with anything other than it's something I have to modify and get properly aligned which may not be the easiest thing to do.
    • Any other recommended mods to the Unisaw besides the fence, belts and bearings?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions on the matter!

The critical measurements for your fences (which are most likely different from each other) are: 1. the gap between the L-bracket and the rectangular tube that sits on it; 2. alignment of the holes in the L-bracket to those in the saw table; and 3. the vertical distance between the L-bracket and the surface of the saw table. If you go to "Very Super Cool Tools", Allen provides how to instructions for making new rails" for his very super cool after market fences. That would give you an insight of what's involved.
    Last edited by Vince Shriver; 08-27-2020 at 2:28 PM.

Yes you can mount this fence on your Uni. I would drill new holes in the fence rail as the holes in your saw are tapped. A couple of clamps will help hold things to figure out where new holes need to go. Sometimes only one new hole is needed. Also keep in mind the tape on the rail and the relationship to the blade for being able to set your fence to width.

Following on to Mike's comments, when you acquire a new tape for the rail-scale, buy for quality, not price. You want one that's actually accurate as you get farther and farther from the blade. I don't have a recommendation, but remember a number of years ago buying some tapes for various purposes and they...um...didn't match across their length.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice fence. Is it blue, or white? I've had an Xacta Fence since the mid 90's on my Jet table saw. Still works today, just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Mansker View Post
    Howdy all! I was gifted a used Jet Xacta fence+rails. I have an old Unisaw. The current Xacta rails have been modified once before by someone. I scoured google for anyone mentioning these two pieces being used together and can't seem to find anything. So my questions are:

• Is there any reason these shouldn't work together?

Nope.
    • Is there any suggestions on how to fill the holes? The OEM holes don't line up, nor do the second sets, with the Unisaw's rail holes and I don't know whether I should drill new into the table saw (which I really want to avoid if possible) or the rails (which is what I'm thinking is more prudent)
      Sand the holes to bare metal and fill with JB Weld, then repaint in what ever color you desire.
    • Any thoughts on why I should or should not use this setup? Seems like it's a good setup and I can't come up with anything other than it's something I have to modify and get properly aligned which may not be the easiest thing to do.
      The Xacta fence is a good fence. It is fairly rugged and can take some mild "abuse". If you desire to utilize the Xacta Fence, just fill the existing holes, drill new holes to match, and use Counter Sunk Screws!!!! You have my guarantee that if you use hex head bolts, or pan head screws, you will one day pinch your finger between the fence and the protruding bolt/screw head, and it will hurt!!!
    • Any other recommended mods to the Unisaw besides the fence, belts and bearings?
      ZCI, (zero clearance insert) throat plates.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions on the matter!
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-28-2020 at 6:42 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks everyone!

Mike, it's painted white. I did find another site (the home machinist) that talked about filling holes by tapping the existing hole, screw a bolt in with loctite, trim leaving one thread overlapped, and peening it flush, grind/sand flat and paint. I'll read up on the JB Weld a little more before I do anything. Thanks for the suggestion on countersunk screws, that sounds like a blood blister waiting to happen!