Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Well tank full of water and short cycling?

I actually don't think it is a 50 micron cause I couldn't find any online.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    Okay I had a well company come out finally..... I have the old style with the air volume control valve. They showed me how to drain it out and just said it needs to be done periodically when it starts to short cycle.
    I don't think your well guy knows what he is talking about. I've had a well with a air control that was working for many years and it never required the tank to be drained to restore the air. That is the whole purpose of that device. It adds air each time the pump cycles and if there is too much air it lets some out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I don't think your well guy knows what he is talking about. I've had a well with a air control that was working for many years and it never required the tank to be drained to restore the air. That is the whole purpose of that device. It adds air each time the pump cycles and if there is too much air it lets some out.
    My FIL had one like that and it needed some air about once a year.

Okay I do have an on demand water heater I don't want clogging up with sediment.
    I would have the hardness of the water checked, hard water will leave deposits that will plug up your water heater. A filter won't take out the dissolved solids but a water softener will.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Does air need to be added to the bladder occassionally?
    Not very often.
    The way I do it is to drain the tank.
    Pump it up to 27 psi.
    Turn the pump on.
    Done.

I actually don't think it is a 50 micron cause I couldn't find any online.
    We had an iron filter installed and took the cartridge filter out of the line. No more sludge clogging things up.

He didn't say once a year, my bad. He just said when it starts short cycling, drain the tank and refill it.

My well water has iron, sulfur, high hardness and not good. We had a n air induction filter out in. It uses air to oxidize the iron and sulfur and then filters them out. It needs no chemicals and very little maintenance. It provides very good water with no iron.