Thread: Gap Gauge - Anybody Made One?

Gap Gauge - Anybody Made One?

I've seen the Woodpecker's Gap Gauge (that you can't get any more) and I'd like to make one for my shop. Anybody here make one that you like to use? I'd like to know the math behind it.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you have a machine shop you could make your own, the graduations are all trigonometry derived. Make a tapered wedge and then mark your graduations. If the wedge has a consistent taper, the graduations will be spaced linear.

I use a Starrett 270 taper gauge that measures from .010 to .150 inches, but this may be too fine a scale for your purposes.

Looking at pictures (My internet is taking a break right now, so I can't watch video) it looks like the width of the fingers match the with of groove at rear. You could use two pieces of 3/4" stock for body, and 1/8" aluminum for the fingers. drill and route body. Using dado blade cut the interlocking fingers in aluminum, and attach to the halves of the body with counter sunk screws, or CA glue. Double stick tape body halves together, and using a standard 1/8" carbide blade, cut groove. Add hardware and be done.