Thread: Air Cleaner Mounting

Air Cleaner Mounting

Hi all, I have a small shop (half of a 2 car garage) where space is at a premium so I try to have things perform multiple functions where reasonable. I like to use my shop built air cleaner to also circulate air/cool the shop a bit. That said, it is pretty limited in terms of where the air is blowing when I mount it to the ceiling. Anyone have any ideas for a heavy duty mount that would allow me to rotate the whole air cleaner when ceiling mounted? I could obviously put it on a cart on the ground, but as I said, space is at a premium.
    I have multiple intakes/filters so flow shouldn't be too impacted based on the direction it is pointing. I was thinking (dangerous I know) that if I could mount it near the wall on some sort of pivot, then I could turn it to face the area in which I am working, or away from it depending on need. I am just not sure how to mount it safely to allow that kind of action.

Thanks in advance

Because it's shop made, could you add an outlet grill that could be rotated to force air in different directions?

Rather than rig up some kind of way to rotate the cleaner, IIWM, I'd just pick up a ceiling or wall mounted fan with a swivel bracket, and use that to provide the breeze. Easy enough to aim it wherever you want.

If you don't want to go that route, then I'd consider making an upside down U bracket that attaches to the sides of cleaner. Attach a big pipe flange to the top of the upside down U, and screw in a short length of stout pipe that runs to the ceiling. Run a piece of lumber between two joists with a hole in for the pipe. Slide the pipe through the hole and screw on a coupling so the pipe can't slip down. Of course, everything needs to be stout enough to easily support the weight of the cleaner, but the load should be relatively balanced.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Bruce, thanks for the thought. I actually plan to do that to move it up/down, but I really need something I can rotate to do what I want to do with it.

Think about sound transmission, as well.

My ceiling-mounted air filter transmitted a lot of noise through the ceiling joists. My filter doesn't rotate, but it is much quieter now that I suspended it from short rubber bungee cords with slack chains for safety in case a bungee breaks (hasn't happened in 20 years!).

That's a great point Wayne. Although if I am running it I'm in the shop so it's just the rest of the fam who has to deal with it, haha. I will definitely want to incorporate some sort of vibration isolation because I would like to stay married.

this would be a hack, and you would need to test for strength and safety, but something you could think about: https://www.rockler.com/lazy-susan-e...luminum-swivel

If you use that, you could rig up a way to mount it to your ceiling, and then mount a piece of plywood to the lazy susan, and then mount the air cleaner to the plywood. This would give you the rotation you are looking for.

Now, some caveats: These are designed to be used in compression, and I couldn't find any details on how it would operate in tension, and how safe it would be.

I also can't tell from the pictures whether it has mounting holes for both sides or if you would need to drill into it on one side

It is also pretty expensive, so I don't know if you would want to experiment with it.

So I think I have an idea...mount a pipe flange to the box with a short piece of pipe with a hole drilled across it at the top. Mount a heavy bag hanger to joist or support bracket tied to joists (that only rotates, doesn't swing ala this one). Run the bolt through the pipe and voila. Now about minimizing vibrations that are transmitted to the living space above...

At least in my head that's how it will work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melvin Feng View Post
    this would be a hack, and you would need to test for strength and safety, but something you could think about: https://www.rockler.com/lazy-susan-e...luminum-swivel

If you use that, you could rig up a way to mount it to your ceiling, and then mount a piece of plywood to the lazy susan, and then mount the air cleaner to the plywood. This would give you the rotation you are looking for.

Now, some caveats: These are designed to be used in compression, and I couldn't find any details on how it would operate in tension, and how safe it would be.

I also can't tell from the pictures whether it has mounting holes for both sides or if you would need to drill into it on one side

It is also pretty expensive, so I don't know if you would want to experiment with it.
    melvin, since that lazy Susan doesn’t have a center axle, you could engineer a way to keep the bearings in compression.

but how about building your own lazy Susan. Those things are just two circular raceways and some round balls. Use two pieces of acrylic and a core box bit. Just Make sure that the diameter is the same on both pieces. Say the home built cleaner is 70 lbs. use 15 balls and each one is holding only 5lbs. Heck, use glass marbles. Make the raceway about 15” diameter or so.

My absolute favorite thing about the woodworking community is this. It's not "Why would you do that?" It's "Hmmm, I wouldn't in my shop, but how could somebody make it work?" I did consider milling out my own lazy susan, but at that point it is more work than it is worth. Ha

I would suggest that you mount it in a fixed position against the wall. Look up hvac turning vanes. They will improve your air circulation within the space and eliminate the need to rotate the unit.
    https://www.mestekmachinery.com/your...-turning-vanes

That could potentially work Jack. Thanks