Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: having 1000 pound equipment delivered?

You should be able to find a pallet jack for $100-120. they can be rebuilt with new seals for $35 if needed. There is a web page where a guy shortened his by 16 inches. I am looking at getting a narrow one which will be more maneuverable but also more tippy for tall loads.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    snip...

You could always overlap OSB sheets and leap from them as you drag the tool into your shop.

snip...
    Now, that's a mental picture I just can't stop laughing at!

I just love spelling correction. "C, O, R, R, E, C, T, I, O, N"

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Blog Entries
    +1 on Rogers point.

when moving from Kansas to Virginia, I had to move a bunch of machines from my basement to my garage where they became the movers problem. I got a team of three riggers for three hours for $1100.00. I had disassembled the machines as best I could without removing motors. I removed the wings and rails from the table saw. I removed the bed from the big bandsaw. I disassembled the lathe. I had bubble wrapped all those bits of cast iron.

I also beefed up my basement stairs with 4x4 posts under the midpoint and under the top. I was adamant about the stairs and the crew really appreciated it. After I showed them how those stairs had originally been constructed, they said they would have walked away had I not added structure.

They got it all done and then some. I considered it money well spent. If you are moving something that big up some stairs and it gets away, someone is going to be seriously injured or killed.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 08-27-2020 at 8:55 PM.

I have used a scaffold to hold a chain hoist and then place dolly's under but that was a 600 lb item and lot smaller. Perhaps you could try small air bags to get each corner up on shims and then put it on dollys ....

A pallet jack won't roll on crush concrete/asphalt Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    How do you guys move things like this into your shop, especially when you're out in the country and don't even have concrete driveways to easily roll it into the shop? A lot of times when you buy something they just drop it off at the end of your driveway supposedly.
    Carefully.
    A thousand lbs. is a lot of weight. If it gets away from you, that's a lot of mass in motion.
    Given the scenario you've presented, you might be better off hiring it out. You're looking a $1000.00 in equipment purchases just to protect your investment, move it safely, and get it off the shipping pallet. Then you still need to know how to use that equipment.
    Hire it out, watch how it is done, then decide if you want to make the investment in equipment to handle that type of situation on your own.

PS
    They do make pallet jacks that will roll over dirt and stones, but they're pretty restricted in weight ratings, as they have semi pneumatic/solid tires. They still require two people.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

ive had to move some heavy stuff over sand and just used 5/8" outdoor pressure treated ply and rollled from one sheet to the next one, maybe not ideal but it worked fine. I move my own stuff, would have spent a fortune, have more machines instead. Nothing lost or damaged, pick ups were different depending on each place,

I have a steep driveway, and my shop is about 70 feet away from the driveway. For my 8" Jet jointer, we leveled the lift gate of the semi with my pickup and slid the pallet onto the bed of the truck. I drove it up the driveway to the shop barn doors. Fortunately, when I built the shop, I had planned for this exact situation. I have 12 foot long 6x6s built up in the Vs of the trusses, and resting on one gable wall., with another 6x6 spanning them. My rough guess is that the chain I have hooked over it would support roughly 1500 pounds. If necessary, I could brace under the 6x6 and lift more weight than my truck could carry. I used a come-a-long to lift the top off the truck and set it onto the jointer base.

When I first moved the tools into the shop, I had rented a bobcat with forks to raise the shingles to the roof, and then used that to move the heavy equipment into the shop from where it was stored in my garage.

IMG_7583.jpgIMG_7584.jpg

Before I owned a pallet jack, I moved a few heavy tools (1500 lbs +) off of trailers and across the yard about 40’ with 3 or 4 black iron pipes, a come along and slings / straps and a homemade wooden ramp to transition from the back of the trailer to the ground level and then from yard grade through the walkout door and into the basement floor. It’s slow, but it will certainly work if you are on flat ground. Helps to have a couple of good, long pry bars and another person to help you shuffle and place pipes, etc whilst holding the load in position.

The pallet jack and 3 sheets of 5/8” plywood is a good bit easier, but a similar approach that I’d recommend if the driveway is reasonably flat. If not, I’d consider finding a neighbor that has a skid steer with forks or renting one for the day.

I know everybody’s budget and tolerance is different, but if I paid riggers to move heavy tools every time I acquired one or needed to move it, I’d have a lot less nice tools than I do now and would have no experience or confidence with tackling these situations that are another part of woodworking, IMO. Every shop access ingress / driveway / yard is different too, though and I’m fortunate to have my shop in my basement that has a reasonably sized walkout door and a side yard that is pretty much flat and a straight shot from my driveway.

When I moved my 2000# Oliver jointer into the basement shop, I gave my neighbor a 6 pack to bring over his skid steer to lift it out of the truck bed and set it down right outside my basement door with slings that I had set on the machine for lifting before he showed up. I had a set of heavy duty 4” steel casters that I bolted to the bottom of the machine temporarily and paid out 2 more 6 packs to a pair of friends to help me drive it down a homemade ramp for the 4” drop from the yard into the basement and into position, then a bottle jack/car jack to take the steel casters off. Every machine and situation is a little different.

Maybe you said already and I missed it, what is the specific tool you’re needing to move and what’s the driveway grade like? Flat?
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 08-29-2020 at 9:15 PM.
    Still waters run deep.

What did it cost to rent a bobcat Andrew? I tried renting a forklift and they want like $700.00 plus 200 to drop it off. 3 day minimum.

I’ve rented a skid steer with forks (had to pay a little extra for the forks) delivered for about $350 for one day. Around here, you can rent it for a Saturday and they will drop it off Friday afternoon and pick it up Monday AM. You can only put 8 hrs of run time on the machine during the rental time though. This was a nearly new, rubber tracked 75 HP Kubota. I would imagine an older, wheeled machine could be a bit less.
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    can they transfer it onto a flatbed trailer?

I just moved stuff yesterday and Friday into a new shop. The shop has a gravel parking lot and a small concrete apron coming out of the overhead door. We used an engine hoist to grab things off of the trailer from the apron and roll it into the garage. Worked pretty well.

Around here it tends to be around $200 - $300 a day, depending on size; trailer and/or delivery is usually extra. Sometimes places will let you take it Friday afternoon and return it Monday morning and only charge a 4 hour rental. The main problem is having a truck big enough to pick it up, some places want a 3/4 ton minimum.

I still favor the method I previously mentioned...transfer from the semi truck to a roll-back for that final mile right to the shop door. $100 or so max and much less expensive than renting a skid steer or forklift with pneumatic tires, most likely. Zero physical labor for you until it's literally at your shop or even just inside if whatever it is can be slid off the roll-back right through the doors.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...