Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Warehouse deal on Powermatic Planer

Amazon Warehouse deal on Powermatic Planer

Just made an impulse buy that hopefully was as good as it sounded. Currently have a Dewalt 735X with the stock head.

Powermatic 1791213 15HH 3 HP 15-Inch Planer with 230-Volt 1 Phase Byrd Shelix Helical Cutterhead

Listed at $3100 new got it for $1100 listed in used very good condition.
    Last edited by Garrad Miller; 08-25-2020 at 9:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sounds great.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Sounds great.

If it arrives as advertised.

A BiG if , if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    If it arrives as advertised.

A BiG if , if you ask me.
    Haha don't scare me like that!

According to normal warehouse return policy, you have 30 days to decide. But it would scare me since somebody must have already had it and used it since it is listed in used condition. Maybe they just did the planing job they wanted to do and said they didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    According to normal warehouse return policy, you have 30 days to decide. But it would scare me since somebody must have already had it and used it since it is listed in used condition. Maybe they just did the planing job they wanted to do and said they didn't like it.
    Yes there is little risk outside of the hassle to move a 500 pound machine around.

Im hoping for something like that as well or just someone who regretted the purchase and returned, ive got some other warehouse deals that could not be distinguished from brand new.

I bought warehouse deals before no problem.best of luck I think it will be fine.for that price a few scratches are expected.

I bought a warehouse Domino XL, and it was unused. The original purchaser returned it because the systainer had a busted corner. Great deal for me.

Yours could be as simple as a bit of shipment damage. Hope it turns out well, good for you for being in the right place at the right time.

I've purchased a number of Amazon warehouse products and all have been great (so far). On any major purchase from Amazon now, I check out the warehouse and "renewed" areas first.

Like any business, they get a not of returns for a lot of different reasons. They have to get rid of those and they've set up a good system where they check the items out before offering them for sale at reduced prices. A lot depends on the person checking out the merchandise but I've been lucky so far.

Just recently I purchased an Apple watch that was "renewed" and it is identical to new. I think for some of their stuff they have specialized facilities which focus on certain things - like the Apple watches.

The prices on warehouse and renewed things change frequently so you have to keep watching to get the best price. Probably changes based on supply and demand. You can shop renewed here.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-26-2020 at 10:50 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I hope this works out for Garrad.

There is a huge difference in returning/rehabbing/reselling something small like a watch or even a dominoXL and that of a heavy planer. The more times something like that is handled, the more risk it's exposed to. And let's face it, Amazon delivery isn't really optimized to handle 500lb widgets.

An who exactly did Bezos have re-check the planer ? An experienced tech ? Unlikely. It was prob. given a once over, but were all the carbide inserts checked ? Or the alignment of the drive system ? If thats bent the average guy wouldn't likely notice.

I'm simply saying don't be surprised if Garrad doesn't win the lottery. The price does seem to warrant the limited risk though.

I have that planer. I paid full price. It is a great tool. My fingers are crossed that yours works like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    And let's face it, Amazon delivery isn't really optimized to handle 500lb widgets.
    I've had one experience in this area. I ordered a ShopFox W1812 Moulder from Amazon.

It went through the system as normal and I got a call from the local freight company about delivery, but it never showed up. The freight company couldn't find it.

I called Amazon and they immediately shipped another. This arrived on a rainy Friday evening at 9:45pm. The truck driver pointed out some damage to the box as it sat on the pallet. He suggested I open the box in front of hime and make a decision as to whether to accept it or not. It looked like there was no visibly damage to anything critical, just some crushed packing material.

I removed the machine from the box, but didn't get around to assembling it for about 3-4 weeks. When I finally put the drive belt on, I noticed the cutter spindle was damaged.

I called Amazon, explained the damage and stated that the machine was assembled and I didn't have any of the original packing material or box. Without issue, they arranged picked and it left my garage the next day. They also gave me a $100 gift card for the inconvenience. I would have taken a third machine, but they didn't have one available.

Let us know how this turns out; I’m crossing my fingers for you!

it its beat all to heck. amazon wont want back. got few items free that way. just had to put effort in fixing.

Still waiting for it to arrive. Will update once i get it. Looks like its at a local trucking company facility now.