Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I free this stuck hose?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Launier View Post
    Heat combined with water pump pliers should do it. If not, shut off the water supply to the spigot & replace the spigot. They'er not that expensive
    Thanks Al!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries

Craftsman rubber hoses are lifetime warranty. I have a 50 foot one that the female end corroded off. I will try to return it today. wish me luck.
    Bil lD

Twisting it off while still supporting the pvc pipe and be prepared to shut the water off just in case something cracks.

Or you could go all redneck on it and just cut the hose leaving the seized fitting alone and splice on another fitting so you can put a new hose on. Then that 6" of old hose is like a strain relief whip lead. Lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    So I got it off.

[edited]

Thanks for your help and advice.

Fred
    Amazing that even though the job is finish there is still new advice on how to get 'er done.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes it is Jim. Everyone here always helps me.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

When hose bib mounted vacuum breakers fail (leak) I take my Sawzall® & make a couple of cuts so that a large screwdriver can be put in the cut to spread it enough to allow it to unscrew, I try not to go too deep so don't bugger up the threads of the hose bib. One note, a lot of hoses have aluminum hose fitting, they are really prone to corrosion so I would recommend leaving them in the store in favor of brass fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    When hose bib mounted vacuum breakers fail (leak) I take my Sawzall® & make a couple of cuts so that a large screwdriver can be put in the cut to spread it enough to allow it to unscrew, I try not to go too deep so don't bugger up the threads of the hose bib. One note, a lot of hoses have aluminum hose fitting, they are really prone to corrosion so I would recommend leaving them in the store in favor of brass fittings.
    Thanks Rollie. What you describe is pretty much what I ended up doing. And I put plastic hose fittings on the dang hose to eliminate corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    ...One note, a lot of hoses have aluminum hose fitting, they are really prone to corrosion so I would recommend leaving them in the store in favor of brass fittings.
    I strongly agree. I learned the hard way to not buy hoses and things with aluminum fittings.
    I've seen some lately that appeared to be anodized aluminum. I wonder if this is better but I'm not brave enough to try one. Very pretty though.
    I also wonder if a silicone compound like dielectric grease would slow or stop the corrosion. I think I'll try that on on those aluminum fittings I have now.

JKJ