Thread: TS blade repair...fail!

TS blade repair...fail!

I finally received my SS cartridges the other day and am back in the shop. When the cartridge blew I was running a 10" Freud Glue Line. It had shed a tooth. I took it into Rockler where I had purchased it and asked if a new tooth could be mounted on the blade. Yes, so it goes in for repair. It came back and I did not immediately mount that blade on the saw. When removing the dado set I grabbed it and put it back on, and mic'ed the opening to the SS trigger with the supplied feeler gauge. All good, except when I fired it up, boom. I put the blade away and contacted SS and they sent an RA on the cartridge as they like to see the ones where people don't know what triggered it. Anyway, I was just boxing the cartridge when I decided to take a close look at the blade. The repaired tooth was almost 1/32" high compared to the factory set-up. I should have known to check the blade before use, but trusted the repair guy, whom I do not know. Foolish. In future I will make sure all the teeth are on the feeler gauge. I will be sending my blades to Dynamic in the future. I'm sending them my Dado set for sharpening and my 14" Evolution on my metal chop saw for sharpening and a tooth repair.

Sorry to hear your tale. I think I will make it SOP after mounting a blade to rotate it a full revolution by hand while watching the indicator....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    I think I would ask the repair guy to pay for the new cartridge for your saw 1/32" height difference is not an acceptable blade repair. The repair person should have checked the blade before they gave it back to you.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Jack ,did they sharpen the blade as well ? The sharpening service I use replaces broken teeth on my blades and then sharpens the blades. I have never had any issues,I do not own a Sawstop however. If the blade was not sharpened after the tooth replacement,then I think it would be very hard to grind it to the same height as the rest of the teeth on the blade.

A super course ripping blade. Only one tooth doing all the cutting. Sounds like they forgot to sharpen blade after repairs.

Am I getting this right, the blade was initially damaged during a sawstop firing, not caused by flesh contact? That blade was then sent in for repair, and a new cartridge installed, which then fired again into the same blade because a tooth that was damaged in the initial sawstop incident was repaired slightly differently than the others?

My questions are, why did the initial firing happen, when your shop agreed to fix a blade did they know it had been stopped by a sawstop, did you specify sharpen all teeth or just repair, and now that you have $$ and lots of time into this exercise, has your opinion of the SS tech in a woodshop changed?

Initial firing was embedded metal out of an old Pear. My bad. Should have run in safe mode. I've never had a blade repaired and asked for a repair, not a sharpening. The blade was about new. I "should have"...there are a lot of should haves in this sequence on my part, but I couldn't imagine replacing a tooth without leveling with the other teeth. Their mistake, my oversight. Those two are interchangeable. I will take the blade into Rockler for discussion. As to your last question, I had a '48 Unisaw for about 20 yrs that I had rebuilt. Must say, it neither blew a cartridge, nor did it cut me. New electrics, arbor, motor, Vega fence, dust collection ramps and motor cover. It is a great saw. I gave it to a friend when I got the SS. I miss that saw and wish both were in the shop, but my friend knows what he has and appreciates getting it. I like the SS a lot. it was a gift from my girls when I built the shop in '15. Good girls Nothing that has happened in my use of the SS is the fault of SS. Mine is not a production shop, so there may be other considerations for those that are. I like the way the SS handles. My daughter and SIL are spending time in the shop, so i am glad to have the technology. I am going to add the router wing and cut down the fence. The thing that most aggravated me in this was the delay in delivery of the cartridges. Ordered from Rockler, online 8/1. They shipped immediately and the usps has been slowed down to a crawl. Delivered 8/23.