Thread: A few plumbing valve questions...

A few plumbing valve questions...

My Toto toilet fill valve was making a funny gurgling noise and I was going to replace the diaphragm to see if it went away, but found I couldn't shut off the water completely. The shut off valve just didn't tighten enough. I bought a new quarter turn valve and replaced it. Water shuts off now.

Questions:
    1) the shut off valve instructions (compression fitting both sides) said to finger tighten, and then turn 3/4 more with a wrench. I could only get it to turn about 3/8 more without extreme force. I think maybe the instructions are for a new installation; since I am reusing the old fittings the compression is already done and doesn't need as much turning. Does that make sense or should I force it another 3/8 turn?
    2) Can this valve be salvaged, maybe by tightening the stem nut or something or replacing a washer, and save it for an emergency? $10 is $10, but if it won't work I will toss it.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCra...-202047042-_-N

Blog Entries
    Most water valves have a way to be repaired.

You may be right on the compression nuts already being compressed. My test for such things is if they do not leak, they are probably tight enough.

Though in my younger years my "hand tight" seemed to be tighter than what others could do. That is noticed most when replacing an oil filter on a car. Of course that also has a lot to do with accessibility to the filter. Some of those automotive engineers should be required to spend a few miserably hot summers or cold winters working under some of their own designs on a gravel driveway.

jtk

- Give you three guesses as to who changed the oil on their car yesterday.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

New washer and maybe ream the valve seat should make that valve useable. Sometimes loosen the packing nut to tighten the valve shut works. But, anytime I touch the packing nut it weeps for a day or two. Teflon dental floss works for valve stem packing in a pinch as does handiwrap.
    Bill D

Wade
    As someone who works in the fitting business. It's it's already compressed 3/8 or a turn is fine.
    For most high pressure hydraulic applications, a 1/4 turn after hand tight is all that's needed. Same with brass compression, they first 3/4 they listed is to seat the ferrule onto the tube / and seal.

I replace all of my valves to rollers and sinks with high quality 1/4 turn valves. It is also worthwhile to check and turn them occasionally.

When we have had remodeling done I specify high quality valves and shutoff for every water line. I also check to make certain that they have been installed.

Personally, I would never reuse a valve like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post

Personally, I would never reuse a valve like that.
    Makes a great drain valve for air lines.