Thread: Jet 1236 Lathe - How do I lock Spur Center into place ?

Jet 1236 Lathe - How do I lock Spur Center into place ?

When turning my first spindle i noticed that the spur center will stop rotating w the spindle. Can I assume it needs to be locked in place ? how do I do so ?

Thanks
    Allen

It locks because of the taper. Take it out, make sure the internal taper in the shaft is clean, make sure the drive spur is clean, and then quickly pop it into place. Also add a little more tailstock pressure because vibration can loosen the taper in the headstock. Also inspect the drive spur for any galling from spinning metal to metal. Some light work with a file and fine sandpaper can clean that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    It locks because of the taper. Take it out, make sure the internal taper in the shaft is clean, make sure the drive spur is clean, and then quickly pop it into place. Also add a little more tailstock pressure because vibration can loosen the taper in the headstock. Also inspect the drive spur for any galling from spinning metal to metal. Some light work with a file and fine sandpaper can clean that up.

Richard, thanks for the insight - that said, I misunderstood the issue. The spur center was not loose. The barbs in the wood just seemed to scratch free of the wood break the wood so it began to spin in the wood itself.

But now I have the opposite issue - i can not get the Spur Center out of the spindle. I pushed w the drift rod but it does not come lose. any clues ? D I just whack it with a hammer ? can I do damage ?

Allen

Slide the rod with some force against the center through the spendle--a couple of taps and it should come loose. Or a light rap with a mallet. You won't hurt it...unless you get ridiculous.

What to do about the center depends on what type it is. If the center point is fixed and there are 4 wings, cut an x in the end of the stock and drill a hole for the center point. If the center is spring loaded, you probably need a little more pressure from the tailstock.

Your profile doesn't say where you are, but I'll bet someone or a club close to you would be willing to spend a little time to get you going.

d
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

"...But now I have the opposite issue - i can not get the Spur Center out of the spindle. I pushed w the drift rod but it does not come lose. any clues ? D I just whack it with a hammer ? can I do damage ?"

Give the end of the knock-out bar a sharp rap (or more) with a mallet. It should pop right out. If it takes more than that, the inside and/or the shaft of the spur center are galled. Clean that up and a sharp rap (or two) should be all it takes.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    "...But now I have the opposite issue - i can not get the Spur Center out of the spindle. I pushed w the drift rod but it does not come lose. any clues ? D I just whack it with a hammer ? can I do damage ?"

Give the end of the knock-out bar a sharp rap (or more) with a mallet. It should pop right out. If it takes more than that, the inside and/or the shaft of the spur center are galled. Clean that up and a sharp rap (or two) should be all it takes.

Will gove ot a shot - thanks for the help guys. As a newby I am sure I'l have 100 questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Coons View Post
    Slide the rod with some force against the center through the spendle--a couple of taps and it should come loose. Or a light rap with a mallet. You won't hurt it...unless you get ridiculous.

What to do about the center depends on what type it is. If the center point is fixed and there are 4 wings, cut an x in the end of the stock and drill a hole for the center point. If the center is spring loaded, you probably need a little more pressure from the tailstock.

Your profile doesn't say where you are, but I'll bet someone or a club close to you would be willing to spend a little time to get you going.

d

Dale,
    I am in Califon, NJ.