Thread: Holder for T-Handle Hex Keys

Holder for T-Handle Hex Keys

A while back I bought two sets of Wiha T-Handle Hex Keys, one 8-piece Metric set and one 10-piece SAE set. These are the SoftGrip type which have very thick handles. For a while I jut piled them into a drawer, making it a chore to find the one I needed.

IMG_0947.jpg

I looked around for some kind of stand that I could wall-mount to hold these tools and easily grab the one I needed. While Wiha makes a metal stand for each of these sets, it didn't look like they would solve my problem.

I found this stand online and bought one. It became obvious right away that this wouldn't be a satisfactory solution. Once filled, the stand is way too crowded and the no-contrast raised markings were hard to impossible to read without lifting the stand up to my face.

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

Finally, I decided to put my woodworking skills to work (gasp) and built something suitable. The label strip was produced on a Brother P-Touch label maker. It's not pretty but it works great.

IMG_0950.jpg

Blog Entries
    I just got one of these: , $7 at HF, wrenches included.
    NOW you tell me...

Nice solution Mark. They’re a lot easier to access now. I should do something like that with my T wrenches.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Nicely done Mark.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-25-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nice solution Mark. I like your idea of labels and need to do the same to mine. Your solution is so much better than having them in a drawer, where I kept misplacing one or two of them.

I had a similar desire to organize my t-handles a number of years ago and wound up building these. They have a cleat on the backside (not visible in the photo) that allows me to store them inside a cabinet door and also allows for them to be removed to where ever I was working.

IMG_5376.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I just got one of these: , $7 at HF, wrenches included.
    I think I saw those, Ole, while looking for a solution but the spacing was too close for my set with fat handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Nice solution Mark. I like your idea of labels and need to do the same to mine. Your solution is so much better than having them in a drawer, where I kept misplacing one or two of them.

I had a similar desire to organize my t-handles a number of years ago and wound up building these. They have a cleat on the backside (not visible in the photo) that allows me to store them inside a cabinet door and also allows for them to be removed to where ever I was working.

IMG_5376.jpg
    Great idea to hang the holder on a cleat.

I highly recommend the P-Touch label printer I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tapes for it are available in (slightly under) 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and 1" widths and you can use various fonts, images, etc. on your labels.