Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please add to this list of telephone scams

Please add to this list of telephone scams

1. My vehicles warranty is about to expire.
    2. My Social Security account has been compromised.
    3. My grandson is in a Mexican jail for possession of marijuana.
    4.My credit card account has been used in England.

Anyone like to add to this list?

Blog Entries
    Don't forget these:
    5. Your Amazon account is about to be renewed or has been charged $1,014.34.
    6. You have qualified for a free stay at a national hotel chain.
    7. You have qualified for a fabulous cruise.
    8. You owe the IRS.

There are certainly more to add.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I do not answer numbers that are blocked or that are not in my contacts list (displays the name I gave them). My voicemail message tells people to leave a voicemail or I will not call back. If someone legitimate needs to reach me, they have plenty of ways besides my cell phone or they can leave a message. Once I know who you are I will add you to my list if I want to talk to you. If your calls come from various sourcing devices, not my problem; run your phone service like a legitimate business

Sorry for the near-rant. Feel free to remove this post from the thread ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you happen to have what looks like a Chinese name, or work at a place that has lots of students or visa workers:

9. There is a problem with your visa, and you are urgently required to contact the Chinese Consulate to resolve (I get these, in Mandarin, pretty regularly - the call promises to represent you and resolve the difficulty for a substantial fee. There is a second version of this which I am pretty sure is the Chinese government fishing for intelligence recruits on various educational and research campuses)

10. We are Microsoft Customer Support and we have detected your PC are having been infected with virus malware.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Blog Entries
    11. Emails purporting to be from Fedex or USPS regarding package deliveries being rescheduled, click on link for more information.
    Capture.JPG

Check the from address closely and it will not be from Fedex or USPS
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

From the news today: Covid-19 contact tracers

"I'm calling from your local health department to let you know that you have been in contact with someone who has covid-19." Then they ask for payment information "before we can continue."

Legitimate contact tracers don't as for any financial information. They will verify the address and birthdate but never your SS number, immigration, or financial status.

The FTC says contact tracer scammers are using phone, email, and texts. Beware of contact tracing messages with a link they want you to click.

With any doubt ask for their name and phone number and call the health department to verify.

from Kaiser Health News

Don't forget the free "Medical Alert System"
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Your Apple account has been compromised

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Your Apple account has been compromised
    Always love that one, especially since the only Apple product I've ever owned was an Apple II, circa 1982.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

"I'm from the Census bureau. We wanted to ask some questions since you didn't respond..."

I filled out my census survey last April.

For your safety, we have locked your (Financial Institution Name) account. Please verify your credentials to regain access. A convenient link is provided below. So far, my account has been locked at four or five banks or investment companies. Probably a good thing since I don't do business with any of them anyway.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    I lucked out when I moved from Kansas to Virginia. I was too lazy to change my phone number and it has been great. Any call with a Kansas area code and not in my contact list is a scam. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Always love that one, especially since the only Apple product I've ever owned was an Apple II, circa 1982.
    Ranks up there with their finding a Windows virus on a machine that has never had Windows on it, in any form.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Same with me the the Apple II was a promotion from our bank in 82