Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please add to this list of telephone scams

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Your Apple account has been compromised
    Same here. Never had Apple anything.

Blog Entries
    I like the Facebook scam where you can get a $350 Echo chainsaw for $19.95. A sucker born every minute.
    NOW you tell me...

Now they’re using texts as well. Got one from Cash*App indicating I have $750 in my account - just click on the link to collect. Never heard of Cash*App and I never click on links I don’t know. I believe it’s a way to get into the info stored in your cell phone.

Also I recently received an email disguised as PayPal saying my account was $335 in arrears with an accompanying link to pay it. Obviously a fake, but very closely resembled PayPal’s logo.

Few days back got call saying that some criminal activity has been reported on my SIN (like SSN) and I should press #1 to talk to agent. Voice on phone was automated. I hung up!

Back in US, I got a call that my green card is revoked due to illegal activity. It was some person. Well I don't have or had a GC so knew it was some scam. I told the person to send cops. He hung up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I like the Facebook scam where you can get a $350 Echo chainsaw for $19.95. A sucker born every minute.
    There are websites popping up all the time with crazy low prices on everything they "sell". They don't actually ship anything and typically require payment of some form that can't be cancelled. They almost never take credit cards because of charge backs. One of the scam websites required you to pay with Sony Playstation card numbers sent to a Gmail address.

we are on our way to turn off your gas/power unless you pay right now. even comes up with the 800 number for the power or gas company.. only thing is, i have never had accounts with those companies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Ranks up there with their finding a Windows virus on a machine that has never had Windows on it, in any form.
    When those idiots call they get strung along. After asking them if they can clean my window a slow counting starts. When the caller asks about my counting they are asked if they don't need to know how many windows there are in my house for them to clean.

They haven't called in months.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The last few that called I gave the phone to my Grandson that can't talk yet but loves to babble on the phone. The one guy got all pissed off with that as he kept asking stuff and my grandson would just blah blah back

I got a letter yestersay from PG&E utility company. Three sheets in full color on glossy paper telling me about a special program to improve air conditioning and windows to save on electricity. Funded somehow by payments from there electric bill. Sounds okay but...Only problem is this city of 200,00 has it's own municipal power service provider. No PG@E electric service at all. They do send a gas bill but that is separate. what a waste of money.
    Bil lD

We want to assist you with your student loan.
    Problem is: I graduated college in 1977.
    Thanks.

Your cable service is about to be disconnected. Only problem is we don't have cable. Closest service point is half a mile away, across creek. So go ahead and disconnect it. Can't miss what you never had to begin with.

So in the 3 days since my post, I listed a few items on Craigslist. Today I received 6 emails, 5 from the same individual, all with the exact same wording. “Want to buy, will pay cash, can come today, reply to this email with your text number” - you get the idea. Obviously a scam. The thing is, none of the responses went through Craigslist, so they somehow hacked my email through Craigslist. I will inform Craigslist admin of this, but doubt if there’s much they can do.

Be very careful out there.