Thread: Third party batteries

Third party batteries

I’ve been expanding my dewalt 20v tools as projects have required. I’m buying the tools without batteries as I have two from my drill / driver combo and one from my leaf blower. I’m starting to look at getting additional batteries and I stumbled across the third party batteries shown below on amazon. Has anyone used them? Positive or negative experience?

Thanks!!!

Upgraded 6.0Ah DCB205 20V Replacement Battery Compatible with Dewalt 20V Max XR DCB205 DCB204 DCB206 DCB205-2 DCB200-2 DCB180 DCD985B DCB200 DCD771C2 DCS355D1 DCD790B Dewalt DCD/DCF/DCG Series 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGKV1P7..._FH7qFbS08JBAC

There was a thread about this awhile back, if my memory serves...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No experience with Dewalt or that particular battery vendor, but my past experience with non OEM batteries is a mixed bag. I've had some 12v bosch types that were pretty darn good and other's that weren't worth the shipping cost. They got relegated to flashlites or laser levels. I also bought an 18v milwaukee that is acceptable, maybe even really good considering the low low price, but none are anywhere close to the OEM batteries.

So, I've resigned myself to buying new OEM batteries whenever I see a sale,closeout,fleabay deal. For me, the savings isn't worth the hassle or uncertainty. The bosch have a 3yr warranty. Which , alone, is worth the premium to me because of the amount of daily use they get.

Project Farm on Youtube did a decent video testing batteries under a few different loading conditions. He found that generally the OEM batteries are definitely better performing, but that some of the cheaper ones offered a better $/A-h value. For example (making up numbers), an OEM battery may claim 5 A-h for $50 and hit right at the advertised spec. An off-brand may claim 5 A-h for $23, but only get 2.5 A-h in actual usage. Dollars wise, the OEM is 2x the performance for slightly more than 2x the cost. Other off-brands he tested would claim 5 A-h for $18 but only get 1.25 A-h in service, so they're both worse performing and worse per dollar.

He didn't test overall longevity, impact resistance, or anything like that... just "factory new" output per dollar. He mentioned in his video that high-amperage usage and long-term capacity (e.g., how much capacity do they have after 2 years or 100 charge-discharge cycles?) were likely much better with OEM batteries, but that in some cases the off-brands might make some sense.

I personally will only use name-brand batteries because I don't like having 4-5 "just OK" batteries when I could have 2-3 great ones, but I do understand everyone has different needs. If you're powering a bunch of flashlights then you're fine with cheaper stuff. For your leaf blower, however, I'd guess you won't get very good performance from off-brand batteries as blowers are very high-draw power tools. Your best bet for batteries is to check OfferUp, Ebay, Craigslist, etc for people selling them when they buy a kit and don't need the rest. I have plenty of batteries and never buy the standalone ones... just secondhand used (and frequently brand new) ones from the aforementioned places.

MTO battery does a very good job of rebuilding OEM batteries. I’ll even go as far to say they last longer then the factory made. I use them in my Panasonic cordless drills.
    Aj

I'm not a professional, so I don't go through a lot of batteries.

But I just can't see investing in reputable brand tools, only to put cheap, knock-off batteries in them.

I don't need the aggravation.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    MTO battery does a very good job of rebuilding OEM batteries. I’ll even go as far to say they last longer then the factory made. I use them in my Panasonic cordless drills.

I agree with Andrew.
    I got my Makita NiMh batteries rebuilt by MTO, and they have been better then the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    I agree with Andrew.
    I got my Makita NiMh batteries rebuilt by MTO, and they have been better then the originals.
    MTO used to be a great svc in the NiCad and NiMh days.

I think they were a bit slow in tooling up to service LiIon tool packs. Even now that they are; I’ve found their pricing isn’t really competitive with OEM batteries above anything but entry level Ah packs.

Then there’s the wait time cause these things can’t be sent via air.

Thank you the replies!!!

The cost savings caught my eye, but I do believe that usually you get what you pay for. Your opinions reinforced my willingness to pay for OEM.

Keep your eyes open at your local stores for Build-A-Kit sales. The store I work at (A Do It Best store) does this special a couple of times a year. You buy two bare tools and get two batteries (5Ah), a charger and a bag for free. Last time I bought the Dewalt cordless router and sander. Our store does this special on both Dewalt and Milwaukee tools.

I am still committed to Makita 9.6 volt batteries and I have no choice but third party. They are more amp hours then anything Makita ever made for this battery pack. Makita no longer makes these batteries so ebay it is. They cost about 1/3 of brand name ones and last at least 3/4 as long so it is a no brainer for me.
    Bill D

I am still committed to Makita 9.6 volt batteries

Now that is commitment.

Check with MTO as they probably still offer rebuilds for that type pack - something they were very good at many many years ago. I'd trust them over some computer jockey peddling nameless batteries.