Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Seen These Hinges?

Has Anyone Seen These Hinges?

I found this picture on the web. I want to convert a drawer to a keyboard tray and need a hinge that will open the drawer front to be flat with the bottom of the drawer.

This one from Rockler will not work for me because the drawer front extends down too far.

Other suggestions will be appreciated. But remember that I want the drawer front to be flat with the bottom of the drawer.

Mike

Drawer hinge.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

How about gluing a second piece of wood to the inside of the front to make up the difference in height once the front pivots down? This extra piece of wood will need to be slightly shorter than the inside dimension of the drawer but should do the job.

A butler tray hinge isn't what you've pictured, but it will do what you're asking for. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...rs-tray-hinges

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    A butler tray hinge isn't what you've pictured, but it will do what you're asking for. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...rs-tray-hinges
    As I look at the problem, a butler tray hinge will not work. A butler tray hinge assumes that lower edge of the drawer front is aligned with the top of the bottom of the drawer so that when you fold it down, the surface is flat. But if I did that, the drawer front would be too high when it's closed.

The problem is that the bottom of the drawer front has to protrude downward, below the top of the bottom surface of the drawer bottom - and that makes hinging it problematic.

I'll post whatever solution I come up with, even if it's not perfect.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    How about gluing a second piece of wood to the inside of the front to make up the difference in height once the front pivots down? This extra piece of wood will need to be slightly shorter than the inside dimension of the drawer but should do the job.
    This is essentially what I'm thinking of, but this will leave a gap between that second piece of wood and the drawer bottom when the drawer front is lowered. I'm working on how to make that as small as possible.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Does a Soss hinge work in this case?

I guess the knuckle would stick up when the drawer was flat.. I don't know. My mind goes towards something of that sort of mechanism.

Here's a way to do a fall-front with a traditional knuckle hinge.

fallfront.jpg

The drawer front is drawn in the closed position. When it opens, it pivots down so that the inside face is flush with the drawer bottom, and there's no gap between the front and the bottom. The hinge has one leaf which is longer than the other. It is often called a flap hinge. I've drawn it with the knuckles up, so they do protrude up from the surface. Some knuckle hinges can be opened far enough that you can mount the knuckles down.

I don't think so, it looks different to me.

Mike

Those are the same as the Rockler ones I pointed to my my OP. Because of the dimensions of the drawer I have to work with, I couldn't see how I could make them work. I have used those on another project so I'm familiar with them.

Mike

Here's a way to do a fall-front with a traditional knuckle hinge.

fallfront.jpg

The drawer front is drawn in the closed position. When it opens, it pivots down so that the inside face is flush with the drawer bottom, and there's no gap between the front and the bottom. The hinge has one leaf which is longer than the other. It is often called a flap hinge. I've drawn it with the knuckles up, so they do protrude up from the surface. Some knuckle hinges can be opened far enough that you can mount the knuckles down.
    That one looks good. I'll do some searching for that. Thanks.

Mike

[Maybe the name is incorrect. When I searched on knuckle hinge it didn't return what I expected. What we want is a hinge with one leaf longer than the other, as shown in your diagram. I know that kind of hinge exists but I don't recall the name. Maybe some modification to a butler tray hinge?]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-23-2020 at 11:48 PM.

Search "Drop leaf hinge"
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Rabbet on the bottom of the drawer. Rabbet on the inside bottom of drawer face. Knuckle hinge. Then it all fits.