Thread: String trimmer reloading (weedeaters)

String trimmer reloading (weedeaters)

Stupid question....

A large percentage of the time when I put new string on my string trimmer it will often jam part way thru using it...

Is there any brand of string or any method of putting it on that will help reduce this problem....

Currently using a Homelite trimmer, but had same problem with other brands....

Such a simple job, but get so frustrated..

Any advice appreciated...

Ed A.

Blog Entries
    My cordless 40 volt string trimmer tends to vibration weld the string to itself and then it won't feed. The cure I found was to spray the full spool with silicone. The line doesn't weld and it feeds much better.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Great idea... will try it... Thanks, Ed

Change the head to a Speed-Feed. Google that, and you will even find youtube videos. All it takes is a light bump to advance the string with that head, and the stock 25-2 Stihl heads. I don't know about any other types. The trouble I've had with new users came from them bumping too hard, or even trying to hold the head down. Rev it up, and a light bump is all it takes.

Stihl cf3 is my favorite line for normal grass, and weed trimming. If you don't slam it against something hard, it will last a Long time before you have to advance it.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 08-23-2020 at 8:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    My cordless 40 volt string trimmer tends to vibration weld the string to itself and then it won't feed. The cure I found was to spray the full spool with silicone. The line doesn't weld and it feeds much better.
    I've never had that problem since I changed from smooth mono-filament to the twist-style cord like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Powercar...7069/303358194
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I have a couple of Stihl trimmers and have tried various heads.

I've settled on this cheap solution. I bought a spool of trim line and just cut about 20-30 lengths and use rubber bands ti hold the spare lines on the shaft of the trimmer.

When a line wears out, you just push a new on win.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a Tanka now, it doesn't like cheap string. I bought a package at the mower shop, It's what the lawn guys use. It lasts forever. I'd try that first. The silicone is good Idea.

Blog Entries
    When you install the string, if you don't wrap it tightly, the pull of the string as it revs up will bury to top wraps under the lower wraps and it will not advance. Yes it is a pain. Check out this video about string trimmer lines showing them cutting grass blades at 100,000 frames per second. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy55X4QaAAU
    NOW you tell me...

I have a Stihl FS-90R that I've had for years. Ironically, I use .095 Husqvarna Titanium Force trimmer line. It is circular/twisted profile, and I think it works really well. If you haven't tried this trimmer line, get a 1/2 pound donut and give it a try. I will also say that I much prefer .095 line over the thinner line I used to use, I find it significantly more durable and much stronger as well.

My last trimmer was a Stihl. If I just stuck the line through the holes, and wound it like was stated, I never had a problem. I only had a problem if I tried to wind the spool off of the trimmer. I suspect the method of doing so on the trimmer kept the line taunt enough to not get twisted up.

Fortunately, I have no use for one now as we have no grass.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

i cut about 10 feet and feed 5 feet through the hole, then wrap the 2 strands around in the proper direction fairly tight. the head on my echo seems to work pretty well. have never had a jam with it. i use the Oregon 095 square line.

what Tom said I put a speed head on the Echo after wearing through the first head from all the bumping, speed head has worked well easier to re load and faster

I put this on my trimmer and love it.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-Spe...0907/204159249

You cut off about 20 feet of line, pass it through the head till even on each side then twist to load.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I also put a echo speed feed in my dewalt trimmer. I no longer have any jamming issues.

There are different sizes of the Speed Feed heads. Make sure you get the right size. Also, some come with different adapters, for different brands of trimmers, and some don't. Make sure you get the one you need.

I get by fine with the stock Stihl 25-2 heads, but my helpers get by better with the Speed Feed heads.

All it takes is the lightest tap to advance the string with either. Tap too hard, or push down too long, and things go haywire.