View Poll Results: Jointer Cutter Head: Straight Blades or Helical Segmented ?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Straight HSS

11 28.21%
  • Straight Carbide

1 2.56%
  • Helical Segmented such as Byrd Shelix

27 69.23%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Jointer Cutter Head: Straight Blades or Helical Segmented ?

Poll: Jointer Cutter Head: Straight Blades or Helical Segmented ?

What type of cutter head do you prefer in a jointer ?

When voting, consider including the following to help other readers:
    - reasons for my preference
    - model of jointer
    - head manufacturer if known (example Byrd Shelix)
    - is preference based on personal experience or is it based on research

I have a helical cutter head and like it. It's nice to be able to replace - or just turn - a cutter if you hit something.

The head came with the jointer - and I purchased the jointer used - so I don't know who made it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Straight knifes for me I use t1 and m2. I had a nice set of opti steel with a black nitride coating but they got short and warped. Sharp beats carbide for the woods i face on my jointer.
    Aj

I prefer either of the carbide options but I would probably give a small edge to the straight carbide knives. Carbide is definitely preferable to HSS as it lasts so much longer it's not even funny. My jointer is Grizzly's DJ20 clone with the factory installed helical segmented head as that's what they had in stock, the straight-knifed version was backordered for months. The only difference between the segmented and the straight knife machines I have used that I can discern is that the segmented cutter is a lot quieter. Surface finish is no different that I can tell. However, changing straight knives is a lot easier and quicker than changing inserts. You only have to change 3-4 straight knives which is an easy task, particularly with an elevation-setting jig. It takes a lot more time to rotate or replace segmented carbide cutters. My jointer has about 40 inserts so it's 40 cutters that need to be changed, not 3 or 4. Also, straight carbide knives are generally a commodity item with standardized sizes while carbide inserts are often specific to that manufacturer/head and pricey as a result.

Helical on my Hammer a3-31. The small chips really help with dust collection.

Tersa on my SCM/Minimax J/P combo...and I'm extremely pleased. If I had North American traditional "separate" machines, I'd have straight knives on a jointer most likely and something spiralish on a thicknesser. I like Tersa because I can replace them in about three minutes or even move one just a hair if there's a nick and they are also reversible.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-23-2020 at 7:19 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

ive asked this before with no answer for those running Tersa how straight are they. I can set up high speed steel to .0005 with no issues. If something is off just tap under slight tight and you have adjusted. If I run the dial across the machine outside and middle it is accurate. Time to put the straight edge again at 90 degrees to the table just to check the flatness.

Jointer tables on older machines have wear on the lead in edge of the infeed, its just the weight of the board and many passes.

If you have a martin or a decent SCM or other and run a dial from side to side parrallel to the knife tip and take measures across what type of tolerances do you see. We know it changes as the knives are used as the tips are wearing, if you are using one area of the infeed over time it will be a bit lower both on infeed leading edge and also across the table from side to side.

Warren, I will measure my machine in the next couple days. Off the top of my head, I remember the Tersa knives being very very straight. Previously, I remember my 12” straight knife machine having knives with .003-.005” dips/bows. Most sharpeners only guarantee that over 12”. That’s the problem with straight knives, you are dependent on the precision of your sharpener.

At the end of the day, does .005” here or there matter? Probably not too much, but insert heads will be be almost perfect.

What does this have to do with the RC-33 type planers?

ive asked this before with no answer for those running Tersa how straight are they.

If the contoured slots in the cutter head are milled straight, the Tersa knives are going to follow suit when you slip them into those slots from the side. I don't think any minor variations are going to have an impact.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

HSS in my Delta 37-315, but I'm tired of adjusting and readjusting blades, and the bolts are getting pretty rounded, too. I've been thinking the next spare $500 goes to a Byrd head, but somehow it never materializes.

Helical in my Felder A941. I also had helical in my Laguna jointer/planer.

Highly recommended, especially when it comes time to rotate the blades.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I now have a Powermatic 6 inch with helical head. It replaced a 40 year old Sears Craftman 6 inch jointer. I sharpened the Sears knives on a Makita 9820 wet sharpener. I used the Sears height measuring tool to adjust. The results were good but it was time consuming. The Powermatic is just a better tool. It is not just the head. The tables are about twice as long. The helical head gives a smoother surface. The main difference is the rippled surface from the straight knives versus lightly scalloped surface from the helical. You have to have good eyes and perfect lighting the see the scallops.

I bought the Powermatic about 6 years ago and chose the helical head based on reviews. I had never seen a demonstration or used a helical head before I bought it. I bought a Powermatic 15 inch planer with helical head at the same time. I have been happy with both.

Blog Entries
    Where did my post go? I was the first to respond and I don't see it. Is it possible I walked away without hitting "Post"??? Nah . . . ;-) Here is about what I wrote:

When voting, consider including the following to help other readers:
    - reasons for my preference
    Cost savings over time.
    Better results (less waste) on figured woods.

- model of jointer
    Grizzly G0453Z and G0490X

- head manufacturer if known (example Byrd Shelix)
    Grizzly's German manufacturer at the time.
    - is preference based on personal experience or is it based on research

I had lost too much time and material to tearout and spent too much money on re-sharpenings/replacements to try to avoid this tearout. Knives are great for a lot of things when fresh. HSS starts sharper than carbide but, rapidly loses this initial advantage and wears very quickly in comparison. My segmented heads have paid for themselves at least twice in a very few years and give better results in tearout prone material. This makes them a good fit for me. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glen there is two of these poll threads.
    Yours is still on the other one.
    Aj