Thread: Anyone know who sells a GOOD mini or micro drill bit adapter?

Anyone know who sells a GOOD mini or micro drill bit adapter?

Hello All,

First let me start off by defining what I mean by the term "GOOD" in my topic title... I need a chuck that will actually CENTER the bits when closed. You would think this would be a no brainer and ALL of them would do this, but apparently the do not. I bought the mini chuck sold by many of the woodworking suppliers (photo attached), but to be frank, it's a piece of JUNK! It just won't center the bits no matter what size bit I try to use. I took it apart to see if possibly something was out of place or missing, but it all seems as it should be (just jaws, springs and a pressure plate). The jaws close tight and centered, and seem centered when partially open. But when you install a bit (of any size) and tighten (no matter the pressure), one of the jaws will skew, causing them to not close together EVENLY, skewing the bit. So when I say GOOD, I just mean one that actually does what it's suppose to do and CENTER the bits (or as I tell my wife, it has to be one that's made for using, not for selling).

The included photo shows the style of the chuck (so the same one is recommended) as well as frontal views of the jaws-- closed, open and with two different size bits (1/16" and #60). It's a little hard to see in the photo's with the bits, but if you can look closely, you'll see how one of the jaws skews, causing the bit not to center no matter what size bit is installed.

I searched the 'net looking for a new one, but it's hard to tell if they all work the same way or not, and I don't want to waste another $15 (chuck and shipping). So I'm hoping someone else may have gone through the same process and found one that works properly. I want to use it with very small bits (#60 ~ 70 range), so a MICRO (with a smaller opening range) rather than the larger mini may work best. I want to use it in my drill press rather than a hand-drill so I can hold the work and drill a precise spot, but the drill press chuck will accept bits down to a 1mm, so I'm sure a micro chuck shaft wouldn't be smaller than that.

Thanks...JEB
    Attached Images Attached Images

A couple of options you could look at. If you only need a few sizes, you can buy small bits with a bigger shank: https://www.mcmaster.com/small-drill-bits

Otherwise, I'd look to machinist supply places for a better micro drill bit adapter. McMaster and MSC have them, for example.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I use a Snappy hex drill set, with collets and replaceable bits, for small bits in my drill press. I haven't measured the runout, but it is visually FAR better than typical micro chucks.

They sell adapters individually for 1/32, 1/16, 5/64, 3/32, 7/64, and larger bits.

Snappy tools are made in the USA too.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Much depends on your budget. Precision in a $15 chuck will be hard to impossible to find. It is also dependent on the precision of the chuck holding the chuck.
    This might be worth a look: https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Min.../dp/B06ZYT62Z1 Amazon has a good return policy if you are not happy with it.
    I have the Albrecht mini slip chuck that runs dead nuts but is a bit higher in price.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hi John,

I have a Dremel Model 220 Workstation, (mini-drill press) the chuck seems to be pretty good. With a #60 drill installed a .028" spark plug gauge fits in all 3 gaps, while a .030" gauge won't fit in any of the gaps. #29 drill is the maximum size for that chuck.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Rohm is probably the best known quality hand chuck. Royal or Bison is probably good. jacobs moved production to China and it no longer any better then harbor fright junk. A collet chuck will be better then a movable jaw chuck.
    better results will be from a sensitive type chuck in a drill press for the smallest holes.
    Bill D.

http://www.royalproducts.com/product.cfm?catID=16
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-23-2020 at 6:56 PM.

I'm not sure what a mini chuck is or why you would want one. The regular size (1/2" or the metric equivalent) Albrecht on my drill press will hold the smallest number bits I have and, as far as I can tell, centers them just fine. Interposing another piece of hardware sounds like asking for trouble.

Looking a bit, I guess my set only goes to #60, and you can get drills to #80. Is that the range these adapters are intended for? I can't quite even imagine using a 0.0135" drill without breaking it!

Starrett pin vise

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I'm not sure what a mini chuck is or why you would want one. The regular size (1/2" or the metric equivalent) Albrecht on my drill press will hold the smallest number bits I have and, as far as I can tell, centers them just fine. Interposing another piece of hardware sounds like asking for trouble.

Looking a bit, I guess my set only goes to #60, and you can get drills to #80. Is that the range these adapters are intended for? I can't quite even imagine using a 0.0135" drill without breaking it!
    5/8" chucks, standard on many bigger drill presses, often only go down to 1/8" minimum drill.

But, you are correct in that if the standard chuck is replaced with a 1/2" chuck, most of them go down to 1/32" minimum drill.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Eclipse makes a pin chuck with interchangeable collets for different size bits.

I bought a mini chuck for under $10 on eBay that looks like the one in your pictures to use with 1/32" drill bits to install model railroad spikes in banjo fretboards. I don't know how much precision you need, I just put my mini chuck in the regular chuck of my cordless drill and it works fine drilling in ebony and jatoba and such.