Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Drills Recommendations

My advice is to buy an impact driver for all the fastener driving chores and keep the drill for making holes. My collection now has four impact drivers and two drills,you can tell which we use the most. All my cordless is Milwaukee M18v Fuel tools.

Another Milwaukee M18 fan.
    All my portable tools are M18, and I’ve even equipped my guys at the non-profit with the brand.
    I had a battery fail in service last week, brought home the question of warranty; with Milwaukee the batteries are warrantied for 3 years, the tools for 5.
    Makes me feel better, because my guys destroyed a Stil leaf blower in less than 2 months.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I am with the others, go try several brands in your hand.

Personally, I am in the Dewalt, Festool camp, depending on what I am doing.

YMMV.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

milwaukee for me , I love everything about them . Rigid - I think still has lifetime replacement on batteries IF you register the item . Most guys probably forget to do it . As mentioned above , what other tools you may want down the road is a factor . One family of batteries is really nice .

Folks, he already ordered the Milwaukee set from ToolNut...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes sir,and I will be ordering some of the other Milwaukee items such as the sawzall and circular saw when the time comes.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Lee Valley doesn't carry Milwaukee. The only cordless drills they have are Festool. And while Rob Lee is a pretty hands on guy when it comes to customer issues, I think he's got employees to help customers choose which tools will work for them.

Originally Posted by lowell holmes
    Or contact Rob Lee at Lee Valley

https://www.google.com/search?q=lee+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Lee Valley doesn't carry Milwaukee. The only cordless drills they have are Festool. And while Rob Lee is a pretty hands on guy when it comes to customer issues, I think he's got employees to help customers choose which tools will work for them.

Why contact Rob? He doesn't sell battery drills or tools that fit Carroll's needs, making that advice worthless.

Except if you're a LV salesman trying to drum up business, which I think is frowned upon here . Besides, isn't Rob a member himself ?

There is NO prohibition to folks making recommendations to any vendor unless they have a vested interest. Please stop. Now.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Guys look what showed up today in mail? Yep finally it has arrived and I have to say its everything that ya'll said it is. I really like it cause it seems little smaller than the old one I had but yet same size drill chuck and it has a belt clip. Next on my list will be to find some good quality phillips tips and hex nut drivers with magnets.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    That's a really good set you've chosen. I don't think you'll be unhappy at all. One day soon, I'm going to add an M12 impact driver to my arsenal.

Got the wife a DeWalt 12v impact with 3 speeds, amazing how compact and light this is, yet has more power and better batteries.
    Yes I have been around a while, my first battery drill was 1.5v then 3v then 6v, then Skill Boar gun 9.6v(top of the line back then). Didn't like the Makita's with the reset button that popped as soon as you beared down. Then on to DeWalt 14.4, 18 v NiCad and LiOn, now using 20/60v. Milwaukee seems like a nice system, definitely like the 12v tools that I have used.
    Comes down to Ford/Chevy/GMC/Mopar/Foreign all have good points and all moving ahead fast.
    Ron

Blog Entries
    Just use the brand you already have batteries for, if none, pick your favorite color or whatever. Or get the festool to prove you are a real woodworker

I switched over to the M18 from Makita when my drill's gear box died. The only issue I had, and it seams like it was just some bad parts in the loop at the time when I bought both cordless drills. The first one the trigger died. At first it was just in forward then both directions. It happened about 3 years after buying it but it had a 5 year warranty (who offers one that long?) so it was replaced with a remanufactured one. The second one acts up occasionally but didn't start up until after the warranty had expired. But if you just push the direction switch to reverse and then back to forward it works again. I think you'll be happy with your purchase. I now have quite a few tools (even a cordless grease gun for the tractor). If you ever drive lag bolts or change tires on a car get the 1/2" impact. Since getting one I rarely use the air powered one.