Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cordless Drills Recommendations

Good choice! I have found the Milwaukee bits to be very good. I’ve gone Torx Or Robertson As much as possible. Phillips is kind of a nuisance comparatively especially with the power of the M18. Now that you have gone Red you will be drawn to the M12 drill/driver kit too I suspect. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    Next on my list will be to find some good quality phillips tips and hex nut drivers with magnets.
    If you can, I highly recommend ditching the use of Philips head screws in favor of Torx (star) head screws, or even square (or Robertson) head screws. Soooo much better!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kortge View Post
    If you can, I highly recommend ditching the use of Philips head screws in favor of Torx (star) head screws, or even square (or Robertson) head screws. Soooo much better!
    Agree totally.....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kortge View Post
    I'm not a big fan of square drive but I do like the Torx drive screws. It's too easy to round a square drive, especially when removing it, and then you have a problem. My deck was put down with square drive screws and when I have to remove a board for something, it's always a challenge. I clean out the socket and push hard on the impact driver to keep the bit in the socket and even then I'll round out one out of 10 or 15.

[When I say "round out" I mean that the square socket of the screw is no longer square - it's round. I usually have to pry the board out when that happens and then drive the screw out with a hammer.]

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-29-2020 at 9:57 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Phillips were designed for the driver to cam out of the screw. This is a benefit on the factory floor, it's a pain in other areas..
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Mike, I've only had camming issues with a few square drive screws...I suspect they didn't follow the Robertson tapered design accurately. But I do like Torx, too, and they are becoming more and more common on retail shelves.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Some may say I have a bit of an obsession with cordless drills and drivers. I have a bunch of the Bosch 12V system and they are my go-to. Love the driver as it's super compact and the drill is more compact than Milwaukee. I started in the Bosch 12V system because they were first. Milwaukee now has a ton more M12 tools and I am so temped. But their M12 drill has all kinds of snag points on the exterior. The Bosch slips in and out of tool bags and belts super easy. Used a friend's M12 Milwaukee drill and I hated it. Now the Milwaukee Hydraulic impact M12 is amazing. I have their M18 Hydraulic and Love it. I may end up with the Bosch LED light, driver, and drill and Milwaukee for the Hydraulic and other but hate to mix systems. Why doesn't Bosch make any Hydraulic drivers, for wood screw driving they are perfect, super quiet and the right torque.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Gonzalez View Post
    I have DeWalt and Makita and both are very good. You also can't go wrong with Milwaukee.
    I'm mostly Dewalt with just a few Milwaukee tools. I'm very unhappy with Milwaukee's right angle drill. They put this bulge for a light that's right by the rubber chuck. If I'm not careful, I pinch my fingers. Since my other drills are DeWalt, I'm used to holding the chuck and letting the drill tighten it. I've gotten pinched more than once on that darn Milwaukee.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I'm mostly Dewalt with just a few Milwaukee tools. I'm very unhappy with Milwaukee's right angle drill. They put this bulge for a light that's right by the rubber chuck. If I'm not careful, I pinch my fingers. Since my other drills are DeWalt, I'm used to holding the chuck and letting the drill tighten it. I've gotten pinched more than once on that darn Milwaukee.
    I've not noticed that with mine. Does yours have a keyless chuck? Mine doesn't. It hardly ever gets used, but when I need it...

I have that same drill. I just wrap my hand from the top, so that my thumb and forefinger are on opposite sides of the light. Generally doesn't take a lot of effort to tighten/loosen the chuck on mine.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut