Thread: Wood identification made simple

Wood identification made simple

Last edited by Rob Luter; 08-22-2020 at 6:21 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Seriously, a great book. I've used my copy so much the pages are falling out. I'm thinking of punching holes to put them in a binder.

As for identifying wood, this cartoon from my newspaper is my favorite. I miss the newspaper comics. I think I'll order a Pickles book or two.

tree_wood_cartoon.jpg

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I miss the newspaper comics.
    The are available online:

https://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/pickles/

Pickles is one of my favorites.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Seriously, a great book. I've used my copy so much the pages are falling out. I'm thinking of punching holes to put them in a binder.

As for identifying wood, this cartoon from my newspaper is my favorite. I miss the newspaper comics. I think I'll order a Pickles book or two.

tree_wood_cartoon.jpg

JKJ
    The Sunday Newspaper Comics used to be a ritual for me. Big Gil Thorpe fan here. Overall, the newspaper used to be a ritual. We had a great local afternoon paper that was on top of the events of the day. It was as good as watching local news on TV. Then they changed to Morning delivery and only covered yesterday's news. Then they got worse and turned into a real fishwrapper. We stopped our subscription over 10 years ago. Makes me sad as my Grandparents owned/published a local newspaper when I was a kid. I worked on the school papers in High School and College. It was about keeping people informed and equipped with the facts. I was a real evangelist for good journalism. It doesn't much exist anymore.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

For decades the morning and Sunday paper was a daily ritual for me too - get up early, coffee, cereal, and newspaper - front to back. Then they went up in cost about 30%. Then the paper got thinner. and dropped a lot of reporting. Then they signed up with USA Today for their news and got rid of most of the reporters further diluted the news. Then they reduced the newspaper size again, dropped some of my favorite comics!) and upped the cost to over 400% of what I paid for years. That was enough, I quit.

Now I'm reduce do clicking through internet news feeds, trying to filter for bias and trying not to get distracted by nonsense, disgusted by the situation in our world and growing hate in our country but still desperate for clear and honest news, news not driven by waves of viral social media, spewers of debased and clearly insane conspiracies, "opinion articles in general", ignorance or bold-faced disregard of facts, and the shameful lies from every side based. End of rant... I'm in need of more comics, immediately!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    The Sunday Newspaper Comics used to be a ritual for me. Big Gil Thorpe fan here. Overall, the newspaper used to be a ritual. We had a great local afternoon paper that was on top of the events of the day. It was as good as watching local news on TV. Then they changed to Morning delivery and only covered yesterday's news. Then they got worse and turned into a real fishwrapper. We stopped our subscription over 10 years ago. Makes me sad as my Grandparents owned/published a local newspaper when I was a kid. I worked on the school papers in High School and College. It was about keeping people informed and equipped with the facts. I was a real evangelist for good journalism. It doesn't much exist anymore.

Blog Entries
    I'm in need of more comics, immediately!
    Imagine the kids of today growing up without newspapers. My day was incomplete without pour through at least one or two.

During my youth in the San Francisco bay area my parents usually subscribed to two of the local dailies and a few others from their hometown paper in Junction City Kansas to the Wall Street Journal that came in the mail.

Everyone in the family would read most of them.

One of the San Francisco Chronicle newspapers saved in my safe is one from the day after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. It was published under emergency conditions on out of town pressed due to power outages. It was still thicker than the San Francisco Chronicle my brother brought me in 2013.

As for comics they are available online:

Comics.png

Chrome can open the 14 tabs at once by holding the Command key (on the Mac, likely similar way to do it on other systems). Then it is read and close one to get to the next. Notice there are three folders for comics.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

tree_wood_cartoon.jpg

JKJ

LOL This comic reminds me of something a friend said years ago "If I can pull it out of the ground, it's a plant. If I can't, it's a tree."
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."