Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better way to run electrical to interior shop machines? PIC

Have you tried the new wireless power cords?

As soon as cord is attached to a surface it is permanent wiring, and not code compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    As soon as cord is attached to a surface it is permanent wiring, and not code compliant.
    While I can see the validity of this logic in the big picture, it would seem to be a bit draconian in a practical sense as there are many situations where a cord or extension cord is held in a particular place/route for safety reasons (tripping, etc.) because hard wiring isn't really possible. I'm going to guess that this is an oft-made violation in the real world!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My approach to ceiling drops:

fullsizeoutput_10a.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    My approach to ceiling drops:

fullsizeoutput_10a.jpg
    That's the right way to do it.

The alternative to that is a short pigtail with strain relief from the box on the ceiling with twist lock connection to the actual cord.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The alternative to that is a short pigtail with strain relief from the box on the ceiling with twist lock connection to the actual cord.
    Another right way to do it. The advantage with this method is that you can hang the cord drop at a height that you can reach without a ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    Anyone ever just have all the outlets run to one centralized location on the wall, then just run the cords along the wall to the outlet? Definitely cheaper for an electrician to install.
    You shouldn’t be commenting on electrical advice threads, if this is an example of what you think is correct would suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    Just to clarify - are you saying that if I have a cord with a plug on the end of it and I plug it into an outlet - and then attach that cord to something, it's considered permanent wiring? Even though it's not permanently connected into the electrical system (because of the plug)?

Is that part of the national electrical code? Or just local jurisdiction?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.