Thread: Can I color epoxy AFTER it has hardened?

Can I color epoxy AFTER it has hardened?

I filled some large knot holes with clear epoxy and then planed it smooth. It looks terrible -- the epoxy is an ugly 'snot' color. Is there anyway to color it now after it has hardened? Would magic marker stick to it? any other coloring agent? paint?

I will stain and poly the table once the epoxy problem is resolved.

Worse case is I'll router it out and poor new (colored) epoxy in, but hoping to avoid that.

Paint or a Sharpie is likely your best bet for this issue. Apply after you stain but before you top coat so that any witness lines can be "disappeared" into the top coats.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim. Sharpie or a stain marker, which can sometimes be more translucent. A few times I’ve used a dremel to sand/grind out a thin top layer of epoxy to replace it. You could then replace it with colored epoxy. It’s very possible a Sharpie would look better.

Definitely make up a test piece and finish it completely or you will have color and gloss problems. In fact make a few. It's easy to rush or get lazy at this point but patience will be rewarded

To color fills (be it epoxy, wood putty, whatever), I use aniline powder dyes mixed with shellac and applied with an artist brush. I first coat the filler with seal coat. Then play with the dye/shellac to color. The nice thing is if the color isn’t right, you can remove it all with DNA and start again. Once satisfied, a quick spray with canned shellac seals it prior to top coat.

Here I was playing with colors to touch up a veneered piece with a few small voids I filled with grain filler.

5F8D0E11-5C11-4EE6-A010-5EF1B552819D.jpg

Some may find this a royal pain, but I actually enjoy the process.