Thread: Very first furniture build - Feedback wanted

Very first furniture build - Feedback wanted

Hi everyone, I've just recently started being a bit more active on this forum, and I've slowly been trying to increase my woodworking skills. Most of my projects so far, have been shop projects and this is my very first furniture build. My goal was to satisfy my wife's request. She wants 2 end tables, 1 TV stand, and 2 book cases all with the same design. This was originally just a test to see if she liked it, then it turned into an entire living room worth of requests. Anyway, simply materials (2x4 for everything) and it's not finished (stain or sealed yet), but wanted to get some feedback on whats good, bad or ugly. Anyway, I've got thick skin so please be honest. Like I said, I know its simple, but she likes this look.

While I'm at it, what would be the best way to protect this, without changing the color too much, she loves the color.

IMG_7426.jpgIMG_1717.jpgIMG_1718.jpg

congratulations. It's a slippery slope from here....
    Seems like you already have a nice set up for your table saw and router.

If you want to preserve the color as is, consider a waterbased "poly" acrylic.

Nice work! I like the work and the proportions. I've done a few pieces from 2x4's too. I agree with Prashun - water based poly.

I am concerned about wood movement on that (very nice) table top. I can't tell if you made any allowances for that in your design? If not, here are a few thoughts to consider.......

Wood will shrink and expand across the grain, with the seasons. So your top might literally break apart if you don't allow for it to expand. For example, if the boards on each end are rigidly attached the top cant expand and my buckle. (Google breadboard ends.) You have to also consider this when attaching the top to the base. (Google how to attach table top to base.)

I like your design. I hope you'll post more of your work for us to see!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The design is nice and you do good work. I agree with Fred on the wood movement. That has to be accounted for if you want the table to last.
    Charlie Jones

Hmmm, the wood movement I didn't actually take into account. This may be an issue. I had originally intended this to only be a "what do you think of this" for the wife, but she liked it as is. I'll have to rethink the wood movement for the next one. I'm about 80 precent done on it, but I'll need to think about how I add the breadboards. Thanks for that insight. The top is all glued (even the breadboards), so it will likely have the issues you are guys are talking about, I live on the east coast of central Florida, so we don't get the typical seasonal cold, but the the humidity will likely cause the biggest issue. The top is attached by pocket hole screws from the frame into the top, no glue. Not sure if that will be an issue or not.

Victor, Pine is not easy to work with so very nice results there.
    If you go on vacation leave your A/C set no higher than 77 to keep the humidity down for less stress on the joints.

Well done, I like the simple look also. If the top is not glued to the aprons and can be removed, consider replacing the pocket screws with either table top z clips or figure 8 fasteners. This won’t fix the glued breadboard issue, but might allow a little movement. Certainly something to do on the future pieces (as well as only using a little glue on the center of the breadboard.

You know, I thought about the table top clips, but I've never really liked the look of them. I know, I'm really the only one that would know they are there, just my opinion. The table top is removable and just because I don't like something, doesn't mean I won't use it. I may end up doing exactly what you said to at least relieve some of that stress. Thanks for the suggestion.

Victor, I don’t care for metal fasteners much either, but they do simplify the attachment. A purist would make wooden buttons that do essentially the same as the z clips, but much more “authentic”. I do plan to make the wooden ones for a period piece I’m making, but pretty much everything else has been done with the metal ones.

Victor, An easy way to do breadboards is to glue and screw about 3 or 4 inches in the center. Make slotted screw holes in the breadboards about two on each side . Use screws with washers or washer heads and square up the holes and plug them. It works and the fake tenons look nice to. I wouldn’t do it for really fine furniture but in this case it would take care of the wood movement and look great to.
    Charlie Jones

Looks clean and modern. Top movement jumps out at me too, but real nice.