Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone bought a robo hippy tool rest recently?

Well, I am some one who belongs in the back room inventing, and not trying to run a business.... I need to get it up on my web site that I ship on the weekends, rather than as soon as an order comes in. Actually I want to retire from it as it is cutting into my play time... Not a good excuse, but the best I have.

As for the loose pin, I guess that could be solved if we could find narrow gauge hinges that were precision made. They only make those in bigger sizes, and those would not work on my platform. A slight bend can help make it tighter. I never noticed it. A little tool pressure on the back/away side of the platform fixes that. You want a light hand on the tool, just like you do when turning.

Tom, if you are unhappy with it, send me your address and I will send a check for a refund. Donate the rest to the club for a benefit auction thing.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post

Tom, if you are unhappy with it, send me your address and I will send a check for a refund. Donate the rest to the club for a benefit auction thing.

robo hippy
    Reed, thanks for the offer. It wouldn't be right though. I'm not unhappy with it really. I understand the limitations of mechanical things and know it's about as good as it could be for the price. Mostly, I've just found a different way up to this point. I have plans for it someday when I get a second grinder, to use it for scrapers and such that need a burr raised. Those that think it's what you need, don't let me dissuade you. It is a quality product.

The robo rest arrived today, it looks good! I'll need to test it out tonight to check the angles, and then after I've had some time using it, I'll update this thread on my experience.

...Actually I want to retire from it ...
    Uh oh! Guess I better get my order in for a RoboRest Inside Bowl Rest 7.5-16 sooner rather than later!

I have had the RoboRest OW grinder rest since about the new year, and like it a lot. Note that it's primary purpose is repeatability, not necessarily angular accuracy....

I think it would be great to have that note on your website, it definitely would have helped me in understanding expectations. I do look forward to seeing how I can use this to increase my consistency and efficiency when sharpening.

I think a couple of times people have used a pin that is 5/64ths rather than the 1/8 inch pin that I use. I don't use one because it may require some force to push it all the way through. Some times one wing is spot on for the pin to slide through, but not the other, and you may have to twist the other side a bit to get it through. With the 1/8 inch pin, it always fits.

robo hippy

As far as testing angles, I wouldn't notice if a gouge was sharpened to 38, 40, or 42 degrees. The surface of the wood is never at the exact same angle to the lathe axis, so there is always the need for minor back and forth to pick up a shaving. For budgetary reasons I'm still using Norton stones which wear over time, so my angles are always changing over time anyway.

When turning some bowls, I am switching back and forth among a 40 deg bowl gouge, a 45 deg bowl gouge, a 50 bowl gouge (I-m trying to wear out so I can justify tossing it), and two or three scrapers. I don't hesitate to touch up the edge on any of these because I can change the platform angle on the Robo Rest so quickly and get back to the blank. The result is I am much more likely to sharpen all of the tools when needed, not just between bowls.

I did check the angles, one reason is the note he has on the website that the 45 degree marking is actually closer to 40 degrees. This holds true for my tests, at 90 to 60ish, it was pretty spot on, but as he said on the website, the 45 is right around 40, and it stays about 5 degrees less than the marked angle.

This actually works out well enough for me since the D-Way negative rake scraper is ground to 20 degrees for the top bevel, and I was originally worried I'd have to add a platform to get this angle (the lowest preset is 25), but I actually matched this angle with one of the presets on the robo rest.

There is definitely some play in the rest, so my plan is to always push down on the back of the rest and keep it like that for all angles.

I did notice, a long time ago, there is a big difference in how the bowl gouge works if I am doing an actual 35/40 grind and the 40/40 grind. This was when I thought my 40 degree setting was actually 40. Just didn't like that setting and went with the 45/40 because I liked the way it cut better. Probably no real difference if you are off by a degree or two.

robo hippy

I guess you always have the option of attempting to cancel your order if you need the rest ASAP. I'm sure there are many good toolrests available from other vendors.

I've had a robo rest for a couple of years and love it. The pin does vibrate out and the solution I came up with is to use a paper clamp on it, solved the problem and works fine.

Jay Mullins

Can't remember if I said this in the video or not, but Dave Schweitzer, former owner of D Way said that his pin vibrated out if he put it in from one side, but not from the other. Putting a slight bend in the pin does the same thing.

robo hippy

Just saw this thread and I'm interested to get one of that, but the website seems to be expired. Is there a way I can get still get the tool rest or something similar to that? I know SB tool made that but they are also out of business.

Oh, guess I didn't respond properly to this. I am not making them any more, either the bowl rest or the grinder platform. They will be made by some one else, but I can't say who, at least not yet. The bowl rests are supposed to be out again this fall, and the grinder platform early next year. I will let you all know. I want more play time...

robo hippy

Oh, guess I didn't respond properly to this. I am not making them any more, either the bowl rest or the grinder platform. They will be made by some one else, but I can't say who, at least not yet. The bowl rests are supposed to be out again this fall, and the grinder platform early next year. I will let you all know. I want more play time...

robo hippy
    Looking forward to bother of these releases. Especially the grinder platform!