Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone bought a robo hippy tool rest recently?

Has anyone bought a robo hippy tool rest recently?

I ordered one of his grinder tool rests this past weekend, and haven't heard anything from him yet. I've sent emails to both the emails I could find (from the website and the email order confirmation), and I even called and left a message, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

Has anyone else ordered from him recently, or been able to contact him?

Nope but I know he frequents this group so I would guess he will see your post. Best of luck and incidentally I love my Robo Rest!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

That's what I'm hoping for, that way I can get some information. I had been doing a good amount of research, and was really looking forward to using the tool rest, but the lack of communication has me worried now.

The man has a solid reputation. You've gotten an order confirmation. Don't fret - he'll take care of you. Sometimes very small businesses are slower.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've never read or heard anything negative about him. From my contacts with him online, through an order I placed, and via his videos, he's very professional and seems to be someone who loves giving back to woodturning. So, don't worry.

That was my impression of him through everything I've seen online, and one reason I was willing to purchase from him in the first place.

I will say that communication is critical though, and that is really all I'm looking for right now, as every attempt I've made has gone without a reply. It makes me wonder if he's ok, as that would help to explain the silence so far.

I am curious what kind of communication you seek beyond the confirmation of receipt of your order? Shipment notification when the item ships would be nice, of course, but beyond that?

Seeing the USPS "problems" in the news, my guess is that it's stuck in a box in a post office somewhere. My son ordered a knife kit and that got delivered a week after they said it should arrive.

Post a review after you get it. I've been wanting one, but the Wolverine platform seems to do the trick for me so far.

If it had shipped by Wednesday, I would've been fine with it as is, but considering I haven't heard a peep yet, and no notification of shipping, it is nearly a week with no information.

In general, I don't find that acceptable, especially comparing to ordering from other companies, small business included.

In fact, most of my experience with other small businesses they reach out proactively to make sure the customer has a great experience, or they ship by the next business day with a notification. I have already reached out 3 separate times with no response, and it has been nearly a week. This is also why I am wondering if he is ok - if he were sick or had an accident, that would explain everything.
    Last edited by Melvin Feng; 08-21-2020 at 1:18 PM.

For me, right now it is just communication. I believe that if he had actually shipped it out, I would have received a notification, either from him, or from USPS (I am signed up for notifications anytime anything is shipped to me).

I have been using the wolverine platform for a while, and I have setup gauges with it, but I was looking for something simpler and easily repeatable. I like the design from what I've seen, and most people seem satisfied. I'll definitely update this thread with my impression if/when I receive it! I'll compare it with the setup gauges that I have to see how close the markings are.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin Feng View Post
    For me, right now it is just communication. I believe that if he had actually shipped it out, I would have received a notification, either from him, or from USPS (I am signed up for notifications anytime anything is shipped to me).

I have been using the wolverine platform for a while, and I have setup gauges with it, but I was looking for something simpler and easily repeatable. I like the design from what I've seen, and most people seem satisfied. I'll definitely update this thread with my impression if/when I receive it! I'll compare it with the setup gauges that I have to see how close the markings are.
    Melvin, I hear ya. I really do. I'm a demanding customer too. All I can tell you is that the BEST customer service I've ever seen comes from Lee Valley in Ottawa. And even they are having a tough time keeping up. LINK LV is a far different sized business. But I'd be mighty surprised if Robohippy is doing better or faster, when even LV can't.

Give him a chance to catch up. These are tough times for very small business.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Melvin, I hear ya. I really do. I'm a demanding customer too. All I can tell you is that the BEST customer service I've ever seen comes from Lee Valley in Ottawa. And even they are having a tough time keeping up. LINK LV is a far different sized business. But I'd be mighty surprised if Robohippy is doing better or faster, when even LV can't.

Give him a chance to catch up. These are tough times for very small business.

Fred
    Oh, I completely understand these are tough times. I do have minimum expectations for at least simple email communication though - emails can be sent while working from home, and it could be as simple as to say that things are backed up, but to expect shipping or another update by a certain time. I have had some great experiences during this time (I also bought some D-Way tools and CBN wheels and supplies from woodturners wonders, and they shipped the next day with great communication), and I have also had some really poor experiences (I bought a second banjo directly from Laguna, and they are world renowned for their poor customer service, which I experienced. I also have had to deal with Full Spectrum for a laser cutter, and they are pretty horrible all around for customer service).

I did just receive an email back from Reed. He did say he sent it out yesterday, but doesn't have the tracking numbers (I also haven't received any notifications yet, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt). He said that I should receive it tomorrow, but I do know that shipping can be a bit slow right now as well. This was the kind of update I was looking for, a simple statement of the current circumstance. I generally don't mind reasonable delays as long as they are communicated well; this is one reason why I waited before even contacting him, and then waited again before starting this thread, to give him the opportunity to communicate with me.

I hope my next update is receipt of the robo rest, and then an update on my experiences with it. I really am looking forward to having this to simplify sharpening my lathe tools.

edit - I believe I located the tracking number through my USPS dashboard (I had to check the area code location from the website phone number to cross check the tracking origin location). It does look to be on schedule to be delivered tomorrow!
    Last edited by Melvin Feng; 08-21-2020 at 5:23 PM.

I have his rest made for the wolverine system. It's well made, but has some play to it so that the indexing pin can work. because of the play, I don't use mine. Would sell if someone wanted it. I use my wolverine rest and a wixey to set the angle.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I have his rest made for the wolverine system. It's well made, but has some play to it so that the indexing pin can work. because of the play, I don't use mine. Would sell if someone wanted it. I use my wolverine rest and a wixey to set the angle.
    Have you tried bending the indexing pin slightly? He recommends that on his video and whereas at first mine had a little play and the pin kept vibrating out, once I bent it slightly it works flawlessly.
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Have you tried bending the indexing pin slightly? He recommends that on his video and whereas at first mine had a little play and the pin kept vibrating out, once I bent it slightly it works flawlessly.
    tom
    I haven't tried that. I'll keep it in mind. I now have a process that works for me. So, I'll likely not use it unless I get another grinder where I can leave it set for burr-raising.