Thread: Chair Side Table

Chair Side Table

My wife doesn’t like me piling up stuff on the end table so I made my own table and storage for the other side of my chair. Has three different tones of Khaya in it. African Mahogany. The lab won’t break it down into which sub species. The drawer fronts are a much lighter tone than the sides so I put extra coats of Tung Oil on the fronts. Top coated with spray shellac. Picked up a new drill bit to drill the holes for the knobs and it wandered off the target even with predrilling. Might make new drawer fronts. The top is glued on but with a special process. Drilled 16 small 3/64 inch holes about 3/8 deep in the top of the legs. Used slow set TB 3 and filled the holes, spread around, waited 5 minutes, put some more on and on the top, waited two minutes, which is laying upside down with tape showing the exact place to sit the piece on upside down. Wife helped lower it into position. Put weights on top for adequate pressure. Pulled off the alignment tape. Probably would not sell one with this glue process but I carry it around by the top since it’s not coming off. Built in climate controlled shop. Sides are 1/2 inch. Resawed, book match.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce King; 08-20-2020 at 11:12 PM.

That’s a beautiful table, Bruce. I like the two tones of wood, and at least from the picture, I wouldn’t redo the drawer fronts...the knob placement looks good to me. Was the top veneered? Looks like the front of the top has edge banding? Just curious since you glued it down to the legs.

Wow...that's really beautiful! 'Love the contrast and material choices. The design is really functional for chair-side use, too. Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Guy's, The top is solid. The front has endgrain that I first coated with spray shellac by spraying onto a rag and wiping on. It cut down on the darkness after a little Tung but still different from edges. I just start with basic overall dimensions and build without plans. I use little diagrams to figure drawer size and locations to match up with available stock.
    Last edited by Bruce King; 08-21-2020 at 10:58 AM.