Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Makita Track/Plunge Saw

I have the cordless version, have had it a couple of years, use it on site a lot and have absolutely no complaints. Has rotten a lot of rough use cutting sheeting and decking and does well, no cord is handy. I have a TS75 as well, think I like the Makita better.

Blog Entries
    Man I was going thru Checkout at Ace Tools and then the shipping costs of $278 shoed up on a 4 pcs total cart value of $570. Guess I will go elsewhere.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Man I was going thru Checkout at Ace Tools and then the shipping costs of $278 shoed up on a 4 pcs total cart value of $570. Guess I will go elsewhere.
    Were you buying a long track? That might be the issue. At some length, packages get too long for regular UPS.

Blog Entries
    Nope, the 55" that comes with the saw and an additional 55" with connecting kit.

Blog Entries
    It was $226 if I reduced cart to only the saw and carrying case.

Blog Entries
    So I am about ready to order (still havent decided who) but now torn between ordering a second 55" track ($87 plus connectors at $35 = $122 plus tax) or just going for the 118" track at $225. Will utilize for building cabinets for my shop but very little usage after that.

Tim, I don't use my long track very much, but I'm glad I have it. It's much preferable over joining two together for long cuts and I know it's absolutely straight.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Jim, do you have the connectors for two shorter tracks and if so have you had any alignment issues while cutting?

Jim, do you have the connectors for two shorter tracks and if so have you had any alignment issues while cutting?
    Yes, I had them originally, but wasn't enamored. My experience at the time was that the connection was "fussy". I could get it straight, but by moving on to the long track, the cut was done in less time than assembling two tracks. I sold one ~55" track when I bought the long one. Later, I added a "short" track (Makita branded rather than Festool) when someone was selling them here in the SMC classifieds. That's also come in handy a lot. It probably gets more used than the ~55" one simply because it's suitable for many of the cuts I do with the track saw "in the shop". (I have a slider and a CNC)
    --

Blog Entries
    Jim, did you have the single or double set of connectors? The double set should help alignment issues at least to a degree wouldn't it?

I use two Festool 55" tracks and use the two connectors when ripping the length of an 8' sheet.

The amount of slop or movement, imagining the location of the connectors as a hinge, is less than 1/16", 55 inches away. If the cut is super critical, over that length, I'll put a straight edge, along the back side of the rail, spanning the seam of the two rails, and make sure they are aligned as accurately as possible.

At some point I may buy a long one piece track, but, to-date, I've not had any issues with the connected rails.

Blog Entries
    I do as ChrisA does without issue. I ripped a batch of French cleats 3-1/2" wide out of 3/4" material. They all fit together.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jim, did you have the single or double set of connectors? The double set should help alignment issues at least to a degree wouldn't it?
    Double. But that was a long time ago (mid-2000s)

I have nothing against using the connectors and admittedly, storing an 8'+ long track can be a challenge for many folks. I fortunately have a place on the wall for it under my two 9' pipe clamps.
    --

For those of you joining makita/festool rails,do yourself a favor and get the tso connectors. Better than the makita ones, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than festool.

https://tsoproducts.com/accessories/...il-connectors/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    For those of you joining makita/festool rails,do yourself a favor and get the tso connectors. Better than the makita ones, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than festool.

https://tsoproducts.com/accessories/...il-connectors/
    Yea, I'm now happy I read this thread. Thanks!
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut